I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Food and Drink
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pancakes!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pancakes!!
    Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 15:21
Buckwheat pancakes

These easy pancakes are great with sweet or savoury fillings - use for breakfast, lunch or dinner! You can also use this recipe to make 'blinis', just make them smaller and top them with your favourite toppings.

Ingredients

• 100g buckwheat flour
  • 1 large free range egg
  • 250ml your choice of milk
  • 125ml water
  • 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
  • Groundnut oil to fry (you can use olive oil but this has a higher smoke point)

Method

1. Whisk the flour, egg and milk together until you have a smooth paste.
  2. Whisk in the water and yoghurt to make a smooth batter - if you want to make crepes then add a little extra water at this point to make a thinner batter.
  3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan, just enough to cover the base.
  4. Add the batter - depending on the size of pancake you want
  5. Cook until golden, then flip gently - they are quite delicate at this stage.
  6. Keep them warm if using immediately, or allow them to cool.
  7. Make a big batch, freeze, and defrost in a dry pan or microwave for a handy standby. If freezing, separate each one with greaseproof paper and put in a sealed bag.

Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 15:25

Irish Boxty Pancakes

Pile these Irish potato and leek pancakes high with cheese, beans, fried eggs or whatever you like, for a filling breakfast, brunch or dinner

Ingredients

• 450g/1lb potatoes, peeled
  • 4 spring onions, finely sliced
  • 100g/4oz plain flour
  • 5ml/1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 large egg, separated
  • 100ml/4 floz buttermilk or natural yogurt
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • A little oil for frying

Method

1. Cut the potatoes into even chunks then cook in a large pan of boiling salted water for 10-15mins or until tender. Drain well, return to the pan then mash until smooth. Stir in the spring onions and leave to cool - spreading them thinly on a plate makes this cool quicker.
  2. Place the potatoes in a large bowl, sift over the flour, bicarbonate of soda, egg yolk and buttermilk, beat well and add plenty of salt and pepper. Whisk the egg white in a separate clean bowl, until it form stiff peaks, then fold into the potato mixture.
  3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe around the pan with a piece of kitchen paper. Drop 3-4 spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and cook over a medium heat for about 8 mins, turning once until golden - don’t cook over too high a heat or the outside will be golden before the centre is ready. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
  4. Repeat to make about 16 pancakes in total. Serve hot with grilled bacon, tomato and fried eggs.

Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 15:31

Cadbury Creme Egg chocolate pancakes

Ingredients

• 3 Cadbury Creme eggs
  • 225ml milk, plus an extra 10ml (2tsp)
  • 75g plain flour
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1tbsp (15ml) sunflower oil

Method

1. Carefully cut the creme eggs in half down the seam and pull apart. Using a teaspoon scoop out the 'goo' and place in a small saucepan (or place the 'goo' in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high power for 10-20 secs depending on microwave rating).
  2. Break the milk chocolate shells into pieces, then place in a small bowl with 125ml of the milk. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate and milk has melted together. Allow to cool slightly.
  3. To make the pancakes, place the flour in a bowl, with the egg and remaining milk and chocolate milk, whisk together to form a batter.
  4. Dip a piece of rolled up kitchen paper into the oil and rub over an 18cm pancake or crepe pan, then heat over a moderate heat. Pour 2-3 tbsp of the chocolate batter into the pan, tilting it so that the batter covers the base thinly and evenly.
  5. Cook for about 1 min, or until the pancake is set and coloured underneath. Loosen the edges with a palette knife then either turn the pancake over or toss. Cook the second side for about 30 secs, or until just set.
  6. Slide the pancake onto a plate, cover with baking parchment or foil and keep warm. Use the oil to cook the remaining batter in the same way, to make another 7 pancakes. Add each one to the warm plate, layering with baking parchment.
  7. Place the pan with the 'goo' over a moderate heat with the 10ml of milk, until melted. Try not to stir the mixture, just gently shake the pan. To serve, fold the pancakes into triangles and drizzle the 'goo' sauce over the top.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 15:37
You lost me at 'Method' but they do sound good (bit complicated, mind)

May I remind everyone that M&S sell proper ready made, thin pancakes that you nuke?Applause

They also sell prepared batter mix which is cheating a bit

Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 15:38
haha not just M&S I find the Aunt Bessie ones best Big%20smile
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 17:45
Originally posted by Alex

May I remind everyone that M&S sell proper ready made, thin pancakes that you nuke?

You mean those pancakes can be used as nuclear weapons?!
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 17:57
I just use the one cup method

equal quantities (ie one cup/mug) of flour and milk
pinch of salt and 1 large egg.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 14:16
Here's a recipe for chocolate pancakes with mint cream.

1 egg
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup SR flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
1 cup milk

1. Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarb together.
2. Whisk the egg and sugar in a bowl.
3. Whisk in the flour mixture and milk until smooth. Mix in oil.
4. Heat a non stick pan. Pour in about 1/4 cup of mixture at a time. Turn over when bubbles burst.
5. Serve with mint cream or chocolate chip mint icecream.

Mint cream
300 mls cream
2 teaspoons caster sugar
1 -2 drops peppermint essence (optional - can be a little too strong for some)
1 large peppermint chocolate Aero bar (green on inside).

1. Whip cream with sugar and peppermint essence.
2. Place unwrapped Aero bar in plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or meat mallet until broken into small, crumbly pieces.
3. Fold through cream.

Edited by MargiABC - 16 Feb 2010 at 14:17
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 01:04
My workmate made pancakes earlier using the one cup method. They were slightly crispy around the edges but otherwise lovely. I had two with bacon and sausages, then another two with a scoop of maple & pecan ice cream and a scoop of clotted cream vanilla. And maple syrup all over that. It wasn't just me who had that much, FYI.

Me, 10 minutes ago :boohoo:

Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 10:10
I managed to scoff 2 with lemon and sugar before being full. Always end up with a tonne of batter left over. 
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 10:49
TWO? When I say pancakes, ours were more like crepes, if that makes me look less gluttonous.
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 11:02
haha, yeah just two, you PIG!
 Post Reply Post Reply