I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > RTV world > Strictly Come Dancing 2009
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anton in racist slur

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anton in racist slur
    Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 02:17

ANTON 'PAKI' SLUR

Race row insult rocks hit show

FROSTY:%20Laila%20&%20Anton%202%20days%20before%20jibe%20
FROSTY: Laila & Anton 2 days before jibe
Image%20Flag

By James Weatherup, 04/10/2009

FURIOUS Strictly celeb Laila Rouass was so stunned when her dance partner called her a "Paki" she could only walk away, the News of the World can reveal.

Anton Du Beke, 43, blurted out the offensive term when he saw the actress after she had a spray-tan at the BBC.

He told Laila, 38 - whose mum is Indian and dad is Moroccan: "Oh my God, you look like a Paki."

The racist outburst was heard by 15 other people including fellow pro dancer Brendan Cole.

A witness said: "Laila just stood there gobsmacked, as was everyone else. She just looked at him as if she couldn't quite believe what he'd said.

"Everyone in the room was just shell-shocked and nobody spoke for few seconds.

"Then Laila glared at Anton and just walked out - she was so upset. She just went to her dressing room, collected her stuff and went straight home. She felt totally humiliated."

Du Beke's racist outburst was a fortnight ago - the same week the News of the World revealed he had dubbed Laila a "terrorist" when they first met. Yesterday when we approached Du Beke he initially DENIED making the "Paki" jibe. But he later backed down and issued a grovelling apology, telling us: "Laila and me have strong personalities and she gives as good as she gets.

"But I must say immediately and categorically that I am not a racist and that I do not use racist language.

"During the course of rehearsals Laila and I have exchanged a great deal of banter entirely in jest, and two weeks ago there was an occasion when this term was used between the two of us.

Disgust

"There was no racist intent whatsoever but I accept that it is a term which causes offence and I regret my use of it, which was done without thought or consideration of how others would react.

"I apologise unreservedly for any offence my actions might have caused."

PARTNERS:%20On%20last%20night¿s%20show
PARTNERS: On last night¿s show

Last night Laila graciously said: "It was a situation which happened that we have moved on from and I accept his apology. I'm really enjoying the show and dancing with Anton, and hope we can go as far as possible in the competition."

But last month we told how relations between the pair were already frosty - after Du Beke called Laila a terrorist when he heard she had Moroccan heritage.

At the first meeting between the celebs and dancers he told the former Footballers' Wives star: "Oh no! You're not a terrorist are you?"

In our picture above the pair are looking uneasy after a rehearsal two days BEFORE his most recent outburst.

That happened in the BBC's Star Bar - where the celeb contestants are offered a spray tan every Thursday for the show.

Our source, who asked not to be named, said: "A woman provides a mobile service and comes in to spray them after rehearsals. She sets up dividers in the room and then everyone queues up.

"There were loads of people milling about who heard what Anton said. I was there, I heard it and saw it. How can someone get away with such a disgusting remark?

"This is the second time Anton has insulted her and this time he has gone way too far."

Last night a Beeb spokesman said: "The BBC does not condone offensive language in the workplace."

Blundering Bruce Forsyth lookalike Du Beke - who's also host of the BBC's celeb game show Hole In The Wall - was brought up in Sevenoaks, Kent, but has a Spanish mother and Hungarian dad.

He took up dancing when he collected his sister Veronica from a class and realised it would be a great way to meet girls.

Later he gave up football in case he damaged his legs.

In 2004 he started on Strictly but caused controversy last year when he said: "I've no time for fat people, they should all be shot."

The same year Strictly was embroiled in another race row when hundreds of viewers complained that talented black celebs were being booted off while white stars with "two left feet" stayed in.

Other infamous telly race rows include the bullying of Shilpa Shetty on 2007's Celeb Big Brother which involved tragic reality star Jade Goody.

Edited by Bren - 04 Oct 2009 at 02:17
lesley View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote lesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 08:48
OMG am shocked he should not have said that. my views on him are changing!!!
Normally 5 mins behind everyone else!
Witte View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Witte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 14:38

We all know by now how Anton talks and mess about, and I truly don't believe he ment it as a 'racial' slur.

People who come back dark brown from hols in the sun, often get told they look like an indian or a paki or other very similar words, so if what Anton said is racist, then we're all, more or less, guilty of said crime.

It's so easy these days to call someone who make an innocent remark, racist..
If Anton was racist, he would have refused to dance with Laila, simple as..

We are supposed to be in a country where we have freedom of speech, so lets not forget that!
BCfan View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote BCfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 15:04
The fact that lots of people use certain terminology does not make it right.  The world is changing and there are many things that were said and done years ago which are no longer acceptable.  Use of language and words similar to these in the article shown above are not acceptable.  I doubt Anton is racist, as such, but it just confirms his complete ignorance, and for thinking that he would have refused to dance with Laila - no that would never have happened.  It would have been career suicide to do something like that.

The man is just an idiot. Last year he made derogatory remarks about people who were over weight.  No matter what he meant, he used certain words.  He has a serious case of foot in mouth syndrome, because there are only so many times you can claim these quotes have been misunderstood.  The common denominator is him.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 15:05
Sorry Witte, but I can't laugh it away as Tony just being Tony this time.  

I agree that we have all commented on the colour of friends returning from holiday, but never absolutely never have I used the word 'paki' as a descriptor.  What if he had said that she was as dark as a 'nigger'? Would you still be able to make excuses for him? 

I am willing to accept that he made an error of judgement rather than brand him a racist, but with this coming in the same week that he joked about her being a terrorist, I am amazed that she danced with him at all on SAturday.  Shows you how professional she is and just what a berk he is.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
spotster View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote spotster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 17:28
The BBC should boot him out at once - like they did with Carol Thatcher and her behind the scenes 'golly***' remark.

It's unacceptable to use such language in a work situation. (It's unacceptable to use such language full stop).

killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 17:42
Looks like these two won't be lasting long with that article, can see them going next week
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
spotster View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote spotster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 17:49
Don't penalise Laila - boot out the Berk now and get Matthew Cutler to step in. Simples And would please a lot of people!
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 18:18
If only it was that simple, but we all know the BBC won't allow it
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
BCfan View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote BCfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 18:51
Anton is in favour with the BBC and is clearly being groomed for better things.  From personal experience trust me he is not what he seems, and I stopped supporting any project associated with him some time ago.  Anything he is in on tv or out there in theatre land, I will never ever support.  I feel sorry for Erin, but there you goes, that is the way the cookie crumbles.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 18:56
I think Anton's big mouth will be his downfall I really don't think he will get the BBC gig

He will never change the first time my brother beat him in Competition he was mouthing in the changing room who is that Scouse git etc etc he will never change
Witte View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Witte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:07
Perhaps he wouldnt have refused to dance with her, but I dont think he would get on so well with her, as he clearly does.
I'v looked again and again at their dances, the following judgements and their training vt's, and hand on heart, I cant see Any negativity between Leila and Anton, she puts her hand on his shoulder, lean her head against him and are playful towards him, as he is towards her. Yes she's a very good actress, but I believe my eyes..

This country is very fond of shortening peoples names, so I'm not surprised that people from afar is getting the similar treatment. If you'r irish you'r called paddy, a welsh is a taffy, a  pakistani a paki, an american a yank, a german a kraut, a french a frog, and on and on it goes..

A word/name is only offencive if it is said with mallice, thats my opinion anyway.

And Thess, the 'N' word is a no no!! Because that word can never be said in any other way than insulting.

Peace to all  Kiss
Laura View Drop Down
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:12
Originally posted by Witte

And Thess, the 'N' word is a no no!! Because that word can never be said in any other way than insulting.

Peace to all  Kiss

have to take issue with that! listen to rappers - it's used as a term of friendship a lot of the time.

anyhoo, i'd be more than happy to never see Anton on my TV screen ever again - with or without the alleged use of racist language!
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:23
he is a prize pillock and probably thought he was being funny, dont think he meant it to be racist in any way shape or form, they will never go far in the show due to not being comfortable as a couple. 
EllieJ View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote EllieJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:30
Anton has gone too far this time. His comment that he said it without thought or consideration says it all.
He does operate mouth before engaging brain so often.

This comment, the terrorist comment, last years 'fat' comment and there have been many others. He is ageist and snobbish. Patsy was 'the common one'
When he danced with Esther he afterwards at a cabaret appearance I saw he used the time Erin was changing to 'entertain' the audience with some really awful jibes at Esther. I have also heard him say that old people shouldnt dance.

this time though the BBC has to do something. Carol Thatcher was dumped for a thoughtless comment in the green room, no one outside actually heard it. Jonathon Ross was suspended for his antics, which were unacceptable but not racist.
They have to be seen to do what is right when a lot of people have taken offence.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:54
totally agree Ellie

Wiitte if you look how the other couples are with each other you can see there is not a closeness between Tony and Laila that the others have
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>