I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4th Anniversary of the London Bombings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th Anniversary of the London Bombings
    Posted: 07 July 2009 at 10:09
RIP victims of this atrocity and love and prayers to the survivors and their families. After 4 years, it still feels surreal.

Memorial for London bombing victims to be unveiled

A memorial honouring the victims of the July 7, 2005 London bombings, is to be unveiled on Tuesday in the city's Hyde Park.

Fifty-two stainless steel pillars have been erected in the park, one for each victim, and grouped to represent the four separate locations of the attacks on public transport in central London.

The families of the victims praised the monuments, ahead of the four-year anniversary of the attacks.
Saba Mozakka, whose mother was killed near King's Cross train station as she travelled to work, said the they were "truly incredible."

"We think it is truly incredible and reflects the importance of the people commemorated," Mozakka, 28, one of six relatives of victims on the board that created the monument along with a design team.

"I think and hope people will feel passionately about the memorial when we open it."

She told the BBC separately: "It's an amazing tribute to my mum and the 51 others who were so viciously and brutally taken from us."

Each pillar, standing 3.5 metres high, has a unique finish, complete with lines, rough areas and smooth surfaces.

Each column also carries an inscription of the time, place and date of the four bombings -- with the numbers of those killed at each one.

A stainless steel plaque naming all those who died has also been erected at the memorial between Lovers Walk and Park Lane.

Four suicide bombers blew up three underground trains and a bus, as Group of Eight leaders were meeting in Scotland, and a day after a euphoric London celebrated winning the right to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

Source:
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 21:25
I remember that day so well, I in the blue room then and we were all trying to find out if everyone here and on the old JT site was ok, thankfully they were.

Thoughts with those who were not so lucky, I like the memorial, can't believe it has been 4 years since that awful day.
Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 01:02
I was working for BT that day, we were taking the 999 calls.. then the mobile networks were switched off and it was soooo quiet, like being in the eye of the storm.. then soo busy again with international calls .. then the mobile networks came back and it was all hell let loose.. think we'll always remember that day
Laura View Drop Down
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 09:00
I knew it was the anniversary, but hadn't clicked it was as long as 4 years ago.

As i was in London yesterday I was talking to friends and NHS colleagues about their work similar to yours Tups on the day, must have been very harrowing for the emergency services and other personnel dealing so directly.
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 09:35
I, through lucky accident, was running about 15 mins late that day and arrived at Victoria just as they closed the tubes, if I had been on time I would of probably been on the victoria line train that was caught underground by Warren street (my destination). I was then on a bus with friends who were holidaying in Spain texting me about bombs in London, I hadnt a clue until I heard the bus drivers radio tell him to stop and evacuate the bus and pick up no one.

A very intense day
Laura View Drop Down
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 15:07
Such a lucky escape Jon.

I really like the memorial they have unveiled - hopefully will get chance to visit sometime. REminds me of Berlin's holocaust memorial.
 Post Reply Post Reply