I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > The Theatre & Music Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What have you seen lately at the theatre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 22:16
Wow Margi, you see a lot of stuff!!!
I was going to buy a ticket for a friend last year, but here they were £75 each!!! (lion king)

I'm going on Monday to see 'Happy Days'- ie the Fonz show
I think there are a few 'names' in it, Cheryl Baker from Bucks Fizz, and a couple of others,
Heidi some-one?? not sure will have to re-check

Going with my Aqua ladies!!!!

I have booked (for the family) Singing in the Rain in June,
and also Vincent and Flavia's show late June (surprise for hubby, as he likes Flavs!)
later that month.

My mother-in-law told me recently she loves Pantomines, and I always thought she wasn't bothered, so maybe will book one this year for us all (for Xmas pressies, see what's coming on here)

Edited by deborah31 - 06 Mar 2014 at 22:17
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
thengp12 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote thengp12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 19:36
I saw Starlight Express about 18 months ago at Cliffs-Pavilion with my Nan, Mum, Dad, My sister and I we had 3D glasses for things that would normally be done live in the rink style arena. I thoroughly loved it as it was my first time to a musical obviously i have watched loads of film adaptations.
But my other Nan on my mums side is getting me Vincent and Flavias Midnight Tango DVD I can not wait as the Argentine Tango is my fave dance of them all
thengp12 reality show continues
🎭💃
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 15:29
Strictly Ballroom the musical debuted in Sydney last week. We just saw it this evening. It was great fun with lots of audience participation. Baz Luhrmann has created another masterpiece and of course had the red curtain (as in his movies in the beginning). Catherine Martin designed the costumes and sets and they were brilliant. The ballroom gowns were based on the styles in the 1980s -lots of fullness and feathers on the hems. Its very Australian orientated in its humour, language and colloquialisms (a bit like "Priscilla QOTD") and does follow the movie story line. Lot has several songs especially written for it, but "Love is in the Air" is still part of it.

Edited by MargiABC - 23 Apr 2014 at 15:33
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by deborah31

Wow Margi, you see a lot of stuff!!!
I was going to buy a ticket for a friend last year, but here they were £75 each!!! (lion king)

My sister has a friend (her son went to school with my niece) who with her family loves to see musical theatre and she is always arranging at least one group booking for 20 -30 people for every new production that's on (or at least the ones she is interested in). She emails anyone who has been on one of her group bookings before and first in best dressed. That's why we do see a lot of shows.
The tickets in a group booking are usually 40 to 50% off the standard prices and we always get good seats. I think I only paid A$65 for the Lion King which equates to approximately £36.

I saw Singing in the Rain in 2001 in Sydney. It starred Todd McKenny - he is a judge in the Australian version of Dancing with the Stars and he was in Strictly Ballroom the movie. I was amazed about the rain on stage.

Edited by MargiABC - 25 Apr 2014 at 11:43
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 13:05
I saw the broadcast of Monty Python Live (Mostly) this evening at my local cinema. I putting it here as it was a stage production and it was the only way I would have been able to see it. I thought the cinema would gave been fuller. The die hard Monty Python fans were having a great time, but there were some who didn't seem to get it. The man next yo me, in his 60s told his friends he was going to see Monty Python and his friends said "who are they?".
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 06:07
I saw Matilda a few weeks ago. I thought it was a great show. Mys older sister wasn't really sold on it though.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 03:38
I finally saw Ghost the musical a couple of weeks ago. I saw a post on it here 2-3 years ago and it got my interest going. Good effects.

We've got tickets to see Singing in the Rain for July, Aladdin and My Fair Lady in October. I have seen My Fair Lady before, but this version is going to be as close to the original Broadway production that starred Julie Andrews. To make sure it is, Julie Andrews is directing this production.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 22:04
haven't seen Ghost, tonight just seen Buddy Holly and the Cricketers, I thought I had booked the Buddy Holly show!!- a bit different. Good musiciaNS tho, my son i'd say was the youngest in the audience average age by 50 years!! they both got thru it, altho daughter had a double vodka at the interval!!! - she only knew one song!! I have also booked The Commitments in December in Norwich.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 07:15
I went to see a Conversation with Julie Andrews the other day as a lead up to My Fair Lady. She has been in Australia for almost 3 months and at 80 years of age looks fantastic. Her daughter was also part of it, talking about the books they have written together. It started off with a look at her movies and her life, including that she was the youngest performer to have performed at the Royal Command Performance as a child. It mostly focussed on My Fair Lady.

Edited by MargiABC - 11 Sep 2016 at 07:16
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 13:44
My Fair Lady and Aladdin were fantastic.
Aladdin - glitz, glamour and all the quick costume changes. The performer who played the genie stole the show, and he was the understudy, or as in the program the alternate for the genie as well as 2 other characters.

Alex Jennings played Professor Higgins in My Fair Lady. He's the actor who played opposite Dame Maggie Smith in 'The Woman in the Van'.
The costumes were extravagant, especially in the Royal Ascot scene. Julie Andrews did a wonderful job as director, working with associates of the musical's original designers, Cecil Beaton and Oliver Smith. Her interpretation to the original Broadway production was great as a tribute to the 60th anniversary of the production.

I also saw Singing in the Rain a few months ago, based on the UK production. I had seen Singing in the Rain several years ago, way before the UK or Broadway productions.
A bit of bad luck for the actors who played the lead Don Lockwood. The main actor, Adam Garcia tore his calf muscle towards the end of the Melbourne season of the show and never performed in the Sydney season. He apparently left the role altogether as the injury was worse than he thought, and the show would be on in other Australian capitol cities after the Sydney run finished several weeks ago. There were 2 other alternate actors for the role. One of those also injured himself. The remaining one did a great job and he had played the role in South Africa, Hong Kong and New Zealand.

Edited by MargiABC - 06 Oct 2016 at 14:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345