I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > The Theatre & Music Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What have you seen lately at the theatre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 12:57
I went to see The Woman In Black a couple of weeks ago. Quite a few people, including Alex, had told me how good it was. I'd read the book and seen the film so I was quite excited about it. What a letdown. It felt more like a bad rehearsal than an apparently genuinely creepy story, both actors were as hammy as it gets and the older man who played a few characters was rotten at the various accents he attempted.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 15:53
I saw Legally Blonde the musical on Wednesday. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the best musical I have seen. My niece raced out to the stage door after the show to get autographs and photos and she wasn't disappointed. The actress who played Elle had a lot of stamina considering she is on stage 95% of the time

Edited by MargiABC - 11 Jan 2013 at 15:55
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 05:38
I forgot to mention that we had centre front row seats, right behind the musical director. I had no idea where my seat would be as an acquaintance of ours always does a group / party booking and we just pay her and she gives us the tickets. It was a nice surprise as I have never sat in the front row of any theatre before. We could see her musical score and her conduction of the orchestra. We could see right into the orchestra pit.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 16:40
I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang last night. Good seats again, but not that close to the front again this time. The car prop was well done. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it as I thought the movie was too drawn out. As a musical on the stage, I thought it was brilliant. The 2 actors who played the Vulgarian spies hammed it up a lot and their jokes went straight over most of the children in the audience. Its the second show I have seen with very cute dogs on the stage.
Two shows in 2 weeks is being really extravagant for me.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 21:03
I have just booked to see Evita (July) and Jersey Nights (May)
a couple of weeks ago, i went to see Brendan Cole in his show- really enjoyed it.
In April we are all going to see Starlight Express (taking the kids!! Son not thrilled, doesn't really like the theatre/anything not sporty!- trying to broaden his horizons!!)
I'm trying to make an effort this year, and  to see shows touring usually from London to here ( Norwich ) and elsewhere over the UK.
Not much comes here, so when it does it is worth going, usually half the price of say the London Theatres, or Manchester, plus saves the cost of travel and hotel in say London or Manchester..
I've got tickets for my mother-in-law, and sister-in-law too as birthday gifts (Evita)as she /they mentioned last time they would really like to go and see one of the musicals (so a surprise, hope it goes down well now!!)

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 06:58
I saw Starlight Express over 25 years ago 1 & 1/2 times. Most of the cast was brought over from overseas. The first 1/2 time, when we had fantastic seats, was in a marquis at Moore Park. Umfortunately the show was aborted due to heavy rain that was coming down the centre pole and wetting the roller skating surface, making it dangerous for the performers to roller skate. The promoters gave us new tickets for another performance but they were bad seats.

We have tickets to see the stage performance of Driving Miss.Daisy with Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones. We are going in a couple of weeks. They are doing a short season in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. I am not sure if they go to other capital cities. To top it off a friend of mine won 2 tickets for an afternoon with Angela Lansbury and Bill Collins (legendary film buff and presenter in Australia) and she asked me to go with her. Of course I said I would go. I think Bill Collins still presents movies for Foxtel. When I was training to be a teacher he was my lecturer for 1 semester for a course called Audio Visual Technology (pre computers) which included how to write on a chalk board without sloping down to the right, how to thread and rewind a 16mm projector, how to use a spirit stencil machine and use an overhead projector and write neatly on overhead transparencies. We also had to learn how to use a video camera (this is several years before you could buy a home video camera - we thought it was wonderful technology at the time)to create videos. The camera and video tape came in a case the size of a medium suitcase. My friends and I had to create a 5 minute edited video on any topic. We never got to edit it, but there lots of expletives every time we made a mistake.

Edited by MargiABC - 26 Feb 2013 at 09:37
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 20:31
I've seen Starlight Express too , in London, about 25- 30 years ago too!- altho it never rained, as in an indoor theatre of course.
Will be interesting to see how they do it in Norwich - small theatre.

We have just bought a video player on e-bay, to play all our own films on , from those first big video recorder we had about 15 years ago, in such a short time, we are recording digitally- how technology has moved on.  When I first worked at Westpac in Sydney, about 18 years ago, our 'mobile phone' was like a brick!!!.  We also have a ton of Disney videos now to get thru again too!!
Reminiscing too, we are trying to get our old stereo working, my kids have never seen vinyls played, sadly i left all mine overseas in Canada, as our moving container wasn't big enough, so left tons of other stuff too, but why my LP's ??? must of had a brain fart, as we say now!!. LOL , should of just put them in the car i shipped!, can't believe i just gave them away!! (all originals from my older sister's mostly from the 60' and 70's, Elvis, Cliff etc .. too, and my LP's from the 70's and 80's!)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 14:34
My niece loves old LPs on vinyl. In the last 5 years record players have made a comeback. My sister bought one that looks like on an old fashioned one, but it also play CDs and tapes as well as copies onto CD. My niece's grandmother bought her a basic one to use in her room in her residential college at uni. My niece also presents a 30 minute segment she calls the "Vinyl half hour" on the uni radio station once a week. She likes to play music from quirky bands that first recorded on vinyl.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 14:50
The afternoon with Angela Lansbury was great. The theatre was full and it was being recorded to be shown on Foxtel later this month. Bill Collins interviewed her on her movie career, her costars, her stage career and Murder She Wrote. Angela also spoke about her current role as Miss Daisy and working with Janes Earl Jones who has played the role of the chauffeur in the West End and Broadway. Angela has only played Miss Daisy in the Australian production. The play is also going to Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth so the cast will be in Australia for a few months. The Sydney season runs the entire month of March.

Edited by MargiABC - 04 Mar 2013 at 22:28
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 11:33
Driving Miss Daisy was brilliant. Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones were fantastic. It was a privilege to be in the audience to see 2 legendary actors in this play. Angela Lansbury is actually 87, but she plays Miss Daisy from the ages of 72 to her 90s. Incidently, Angela Lansbury still drives, unlike Miss Daisy who is an insurance risk in the play.
James Earl Jones is also in his 80s, and as his character ages his movement changes to suit the age. I just love hearing his voice.
I should also mention that Boyd Gaines who plays Miss Daisy's sone was also good in his role. It was also very humbling to see the actors move some of the props around in scene changes rather than someome come out to do that and spoil the flow. Larger props were moved mechanically.

Edited by MargiABC - 17 Mar 2013 at 05:49
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 15:14
New Jersey Nights was fantastic, best show i've seen this year.
Most of the audience I think were teenagers in the  early 60's  (when i was born) ! We were on the 3rd row so very close to the singers and dancers.
All the Franki Valli  and 4 Seasons songs from the 60's, plus a couple of Ronnettes, and Doo-wop numbers by the girls (Phil Spector, wall of sound stuff)
I grew up on them and Elvis and Cliff Richard etc... having sisters 17 and 15 years older than I was, so really enjoyed it, but funny/strange  a bit sad too, as took me back in time (parents and 1 sister no longer of this world)so first time I've had a happy great evening that was a bit tearful!!! Still love all the songs tho
We may of been the youngest in the audience!!- but eveyone up dancing by the end!
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 15:05
I saw War Horse this evening. Brilliant and powerful. After a while I dudn't notice the puppeteers in the horses. Unfortunately the theatre wasn't even half full. We were meant to be in row Q, but the usher upgraded us to row K to fill up the front of the theatre. We moved back to row Q at intermission as we couldn't see the stage through the taller heads in front of us. In fact people just moved to an empty seat that gave them a better view. Maybe it was a Tuesday night. I hope they bigger audiences for the rest of the shows.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2013 at 13:20
I saw "Hot Shoe Shuffle" on Wednesday night. A tap dancing extravaganza. This show was conceived in Australia 21 years ago by dancer / choreographer David Atkins. The current Australian season is its 21st anniversary tour. It played in the West End some years ago with an all Australian cast. Its set around the 1930s with a big band and music from that era.
We had front row seats and the group we went with organised a 15 minute chat with some of the performers at the end of the performance, which was great.

deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2013 at 18:02
I just saw Evita on Friday (which was actually 61 years to the date of her death!!)
We were sat 2nd row from the front in the middle, so again the orchestra was in view.

Marti Pellow (Wet wet wet- I last saw in Sydney about 18 years ago, in WetX3) was Che, the other's were unknowns (to me) but all great singers
It's not the usual type of musical i go to, usually go to upbeat happy ones, not of this genre which i describe now as an Argentinian sort of Les Miserable!!!

I thought Marti 's voice wasn't as good as it used to be, but then he's alot older now, and been thru alot hasn't he? He was still good tho imo.

HOw on earth is Angela Lansbury still going??? (just been reading some of the above posts!!)
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2013 at 00:13
Angela still is. I think she has gone home now as she was touring 5 capitol cities for a month each for Driving Miss Daisy which started in February. She is related to Malcolm Turnbull, the Aussie politician.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 02:51
I saw The Lion King a couple of weeks ago. I saw it 10 yeasrs sgo in the same theatre. They staged the entry of the animals differently from the first time we saw it. They walked up from the back of the theatre to the stage so we could get a close up view of them as they walked past.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>