I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > The Theatre & Music Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Priscilla Queen of the Desert
    Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 12:30
I just read that Priscilla Queen of the Desert (I nearly typed in dessert) has started in the West End with Jason Donovan as its star.
Its based on the movie of the same name,and the songs, costumes and staging are fantastic.

I saw this 2 years ago in Sydney. If anyone in the BR is planning to see it, let me know what you think of it. I just think it is wonderful that an Aussie based musical has made it to the West End!!!
didleyboo View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer
Dan's Diva

Quote didleyboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 17:01
Saw the film years ago and loved it. I can imagine it will transfer to stage very well. I will def keep my eyes open and keep dropping hints to hubby lol x
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 13:25
I'm going to go and see this ASAP, loved the film and can't wait to see how it translates to the stage... how on earth will they do the van/shoe/streaming chiffon scene? Oh and the "ping pong" I your wife!! parts will be fun to see. 
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 14:04
You will love it Jonnyboy. I won't spoil it for you (I am presuming they will be staging it the same way they did here). Its just one of those feel good musicals.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 00:14
I'm supposed to be going to London sometime soon and definitely want to see this. 
Laura View Drop Down
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 13:03
I'm going to see it in July! Hen weekend trip, and I can't wait - perfect show for a hen do i'm sure
Laura View Drop Down

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 09:01
going this weekend, should be greast fun, really looking forward to it!
PintOfPartridge View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote PintOfPartridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:46
Jon Tsouras is amazing in PQOTD
Love the JP!
SkaterFan View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote SkaterFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 21:54
Really want to go and see this show soon, have also heard its meant to be heading to Canada and even Broadway next year.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 16:44
Wow, great to hear its going to Broadway and Canada. I hope the Americans don't Americanise it too much. I would hate it to lose its Aussie flavour as this is what makes it.

When talk of the Boy from Oz was going to Broadway a few years back, they originally didn't want to cast an Aussie in the lead role, but thank heavens for Hugh Jackman. They did Americanise it though and changed some of the show. When Hugh Jackman performed it in Australia after the Broadway season, it returned to its original format.
Who knows, he could even be in Priscilla!!!
Laura View Drop Down

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:55
Realised I never posted about this! I went for my friend's hen weekend last July.

Jason Donovan was very disappointing vocally (but then I knew he's no great shakes!). However it's a really good fun musical, definitely a gang-of-girls type thing. I've seen a lot better, but the costumes were fab and the older guy was excellent (i believe he's the 'original' from Oz version) and the younger guy was good but kept using the wrong character name for one of them.
SkaterFan View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote SkaterFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 00:49
Originally posted by PintOfPartridge

Jon Tsouras is amazing in PQOTD
Saw Jon play Felicia/Adam last year and he was fantastic, been meaning to go back and see the show again so I can see Ray Meagher before he leaves, hoping to go just before cast change over next month.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 02:15
Tony Sheldon who played the Bernadette in the Australian, West End and now currently in the Broadway production of PQOTD has been nomonated for a Tony Award.

Tony, 3rd from right, going to the nominees luncheon.

Lizzie Gardiner and Tim Chappell the costume designers have also been nominated. They won an Oscar for the costume design for the movie of PQOTD 16 years ago.

We will find out today if they have won.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 02:35
I just checked the official Tony Award web site. Lizzie Gardiner and Tim Chappell have won for best costume design. Unfortunately Tony Sheldon missed out.
I am really proud and excited that Australians were nominated in 2 categories and 1 has won.

Acceptance speech best costumes in a musical

Edited by MargiABC - 13 June 2011 at 05:13
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 13:56
Went to see this last night, a great night out. I'm going back again in August for a friends hen do, so that will be trebble the fun
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 18:49
have a friend in this production Jon

Ian Oswald

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>