I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Linux users here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Linux users here?
    Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 21:56
I'm looking for some advice on where to obtain it, how easy it is to install, and what problems I might have trying to install other programs. I know there are different versions of Linux and would like to know which is the best to go for. Also, does it need updating constantly like Windows? I hate that and have it turned off on both my laptop and desktop.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 23:20
certainly needs thinking about before you do it - I would recommend you go on the computing section of DS a really useful and helpful thread on DS for once and plenty on this subject
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 10:18
Nooooooooooooooooooo! Don't do it!!

James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 12:05
Ha! Thanks Bren and OK Jon! Is it really rubbish then?
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 12:21
Why do you want to go on it? just fed up with windows? (I'm a mac man) If its just for browsing then get firefox, but do go and look at what bloggers and experts say about linux before you do anything
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 21:39

What is BSD? Whistle

veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 22:27
Don't listen to the scare stories, I use Linux and I like it. I actually have a dual boot system and only ever use Windows for doing my website, for everything else I use Linux. I would not even use Windows for that if I could help it but I use Front page which obviously being a Microsoft program won't work on Linux.

Also it depends which OS system you chose, some are a pain in the arse whereas others more recent ones have an interface very similar to Windows and are very easy to use.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 01:43
Weellll, it was really out of nosiness more than anything - a workmate has it and swears by it but also I just like to know about alternatives. It's no problem swapping between Windows and Linux anyway; I've re-installed Windows so many times on my desktop (due to a dodgy anti-virus) that I could do it in my sleep.

Jon, I would LOVE a Mac but I can't afford one yet, although I'm working towards it so stop showing off. Do you use one at home too?

Veronica, my workmate seems to have one of the recent ones you mention. It looked pretty straightforward and not THAT different to Windows although she says she likes it better.

I suppose it can't hurt to give it a go. If it doesn't work out I can always go back to Windows anyway (even if it kills me). I just don't like thinking there's only one option.

I'll let you know how I get on.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 01:43
PS thank you for the replies; I'll do my homework before I make a decision.
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 12:16
By the way I'm using Open Suse 11.

One of the main reasons for switching was that it's far more secure than windows, no malware or anything like that.
It comes with open office which is compatible to Microsoft office so you an use use spreadsheets and make documents if you need to.

Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything and I'll try and assist
SliverOfDiamond View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote SliverOfDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 23:12

Linux is brilliant, easy to use, fast and nippy, never calls home for authorisation to use it, and is free. It's come a long way since anyone using it needed to be a fully qualified nerd.

The friendliest distribution (type of linux) is Ubuntu, which also seems to have a vast number of drivers available for it. All my equipment worked with it almost first time, and it's very easy to use once you get used to it (and discover the package manager, which will find the free programs they recommend to use with it).

If the motherboard on my desktop hadn't died I'd still be using it - it's still on the hard drive for that machine - I hate Windows, but I'm temporarily stuck with it on an ancient laptop, because of a need to use Access for work.

James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 20:54
Thanks Veronica and SoD. I'll talk to my colleague at work to see what she uses too then check out the forums. :D
SliverOfDiamond View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote SliverOfDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 00:55
Thanks Bren, whoever would have thought it, the DS computing forum is really interesting, and looks very useful, I would never have gone in there in a million years if you hadn't said that.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 12:31
Am downloading Ubuntu right now. I'll install it tonight when I get home from work
 Post Reply Post Reply