I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Forever In Our Thoughts
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Victorian bush fire victims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victorian bush fire victims
    Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 10:34
My thoughts go out to the those who were caught up in the terrible bush fires in Victoria. The offical toll is 181 dead, but authorities fear it could rise to 300.

Australia has a history of bush fires, but this one has been the most deadly and devastating as many of you have read or seen on news reports. In some cases whole families have not survived.

Many of the survivors are homeless and their accounts of the fire storm are horrendous. One man described the sound of the fire. He likened it to the roar of T-Rex in the movie Jurassic Park. One family thought they were going to die - the neighbours' homes on all sides had caught on fire and they had no power and thus no water to try to extinguish any flames, but miraculously they survived. Four group of men were trying to save a property. The fire brigade came, but could not assist as the fire was too great. The men jumped into their ute and drove through a wall of flames to get out. The two in the back of the ute suffered burns but survived.

A tribute to the fire fighters, many of whom are volunteers who risk their lives for others. Not all the fires are out yet, and they are trying to prevent some of the smaller fires joining up to become one big fire front. Some welcome rain and cooler conditions have helped.

Australians around the nation have rallied and donations are flooding in to help the survivors.

Our Prime Minister has announced that we will be having a National Day of Mourning soon.
Rose View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Madam Whiplash

Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 13:55

My thoughts and condolences go out to the families who have lost family members and dear friends..

madaboutdan View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer
Dan's Diva

Quote madaboutdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 18:22
this has been a terrible tragedy and watching it on the news we really cant comprehend the total devastation it has caused the communities affected. so many relatives and friends have been lost and others have been scarred both physically and emotionally for life. my thoughts and love go out to everyone who has been affected by these fires.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 00:01
Very well put Madaboutdan.

I echo the sentiments already expressed here.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 02:59
The National Day of Mourning was held in Melbourne, Victoria this morning, 22.2.09 at 11am Sydney time. Princess Anne flew out especially to speak on Queen Elizabeth's behalf.

It was a very moving service with our Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, policticans from both sides, the Australian Governor General and the Victorian Governor, members of the emergency services, courageous survivors and representatives from all religions in Australia taking part.

The official death toll is now at 209.

The survivors have bravely confirmed that they will rebuild their communities and their lives.
 Post Reply Post Reply