I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slumdog Millionaire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slumdog Millionaire
    Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 11:35
Seeing this on Friday - can't wait!

The story of Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating; how could a street kid know so much? Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures together on the road, of vicious encounters with local gangs, and of Latika, the girl he loved and lost. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to one of the game show's questions. Each chapter of Jamal's increasingly layered story reveals where he learned the answers to the show's seemingly impossible quizzes. But one question remains a mystery: what is this young man with no apparent desire for riches really doing on the game show? When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the Inspector and sixty million viewers are about to find out. At the heart of its storytelling lies the question of how anyone comes to know the things they know about life and love
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 11:43
This movie won a Golden Globe in the US.

This movie sounds interesting.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 12:17
I've heard only great things about this film, and it's one I'd like to go see if I get chance over the next few weeks.  Thumbs%20Up
Sammy View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Nurse Rachet

Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 13:23
Sounds good.
Laura View Drop Down
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 14:37
Can't wait to see it myself - following the golden globes there's Oscar buzz (nominations announced - i think- on 22nd Jan), including for the lead Dev Patel who's meant to be outstanding.

Will await your views Alex, and share my own here too once I've seen it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 16:32
We're hoping to see this tonight .... assuming the cinema isn't full of "Orange Wednesdays"!
Laura View Drop Down

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 16:34
good luck trying to get in!
Hatshepsut View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote Hatshepsut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 19:13
Like everybody here, I've been intrigued by the talk about the film - the Oscar buzz, the awards, the subject matter - and it's one I'd like to see.

But I read this article in The Times today clicky and, hmmm, now I'm not so sure. Alice Miles is not my favourite writer in the paper, it has to be said, and it's only one opinion, but I'm generally quite squeamish and don't like violence, so I'll be looking forward to reading your reviews before I decide...

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time." - Robin Williams
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 20:05
Originally posted by Hatshepsut

But I read this article in The Times today clicky and, hmmm, now I'm not so sure. Alice Miles is not my favourite writer in the paper, it has to be said, and it's only one opinion, but I'm generally quite squeamish and don't like violence, so I'll be looking forward to reading your reviews before I decide...

I agree to a certain extent with him but I think you will enjoy it still and you should definately see it. I was puzzled by the comedy tag, and the words heartfelt and heartwarming applied to the film in everything I read. The whole film is just one awful struggle after another awful struggle for the 2 main kids in the story. The things they go through is awful and very brutal. That said, it strangely isn't a depressing film at all and I thoughouly enjoyed it, it's totally engrossing and it definately deserves all its awards success.      
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 15:56
I saw this last night and can recommend it. The script is very clever - obviously you'll know that there is an "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" theme running through the film and the links between the story and the show have been really well written.

I'm sure Ashleigh would agree with me though that you might not want to be eating milk chocolate about 20 minutes into the film ...
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2009 at 13:46
Originally posted by Butterfly

...you might not want to be eating milk chocolate about 20 minutes into the film ...

Ha Ha! Yes, you're right

Loved this film so much, though totally mislabeled as a feel good movie or comedy

I think the plot has already been given away by the pesky Times.

Essentially, this young guy from the slums works as a tea boy and is on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, answering all the questions correctly - the slimey host accuses him of cheating and gets him arrested and interrogated. Jamal recounts how he knew the answer to each of the questions - apart from the final one (I didn't know the answer as it's one of those questions you can so easily forget the answer to ) There's also a touching love story.

It's got Danny Boyle stamped all over it- most especially the scene Butterfly refers to above (whoa!). The cruelty and poverty that children still suffer in India is shown graphically and without compromise. I was with someone who told me how true to life and relevant it still is. It is not the India Liz Hurly gets to see...

I also loved the soundtrack which i now have, the last song Jai Ho (sounds like Tally Ho btw) means (so I was told) celebration, like Hallelujah!

A word to wise, stay for the end credits, the people next to us tried to leave but I stuck my legs out so they sat down again, think they are very glad they did.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2009 at 15:35
Glad you enjoyed it, Alex. I couldn't understand though why the "female interest" has been nominated for one of those shiny awards.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 02:39
I saw this film a while back and absolutely loved it. I must say I think it's worthy of the tag "feel good" but God only knows how anyone could find it to be a "comedy". I'm not sure about Dev as Best Actor...he was perfectly good...but it's not a demanding role really, lol. The actors who played the main character as a child however...brilliant !! ANd they are actual living in Mumbais slums NOW...( although literally now they are in Hollywood as they have been taken there as a treat). The little girl who plays the young Latika lives in a house and outside it there is a patch of land which is the local toilet !! The little boy...his house has a plastic sheet as a roof!

It's a very touching love story...and well lives up to all the hype.

Edited by parissing2fish - 23 Feb 2009 at 09:05
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 09:05
Just the EIGHT Oscars then...one up on the Globes , I think. LOved Danny Boyles "tigger" dance, lol.
Laura View Drop Down

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 15:26
WEnt to see it this morning and absolutely loved it. Brilliant story, great 'look', excellent performances from the kids (and loved the host too).

Freida Pinto is ridiculously beautiful, as were the little Latikas.

Brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply