I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Food and Drink
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fat Birds Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fat Birds Club
    Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 10:40
Well I have eaten too much over my holiday break - last week I was away and ate at restaurants or the hotel for 3 days. This week I have been catching up with friends for lunch every other day.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 13:20
Darth - do you mean fry as in fried rice? I use it to cook fried rice all the time. I use it for fried rice as soon as it comes out of the microwave - no time wasted this way. Recipes from years ago always said to use cold rice, which I find does not work very well with microwaved basmati - when its cold, its hard and dry.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 11:51
Chunks sounded better in the same sentence as chicken Whistle

I much prefer basmati to long grain - it has a nicer texture, cooks more quickly and just looks better in general. Pity it's too soft to fry.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 02:23
Originally posted by Butterfly

So, over a quarter of the way through the year .... how are we doing?

I still haven' lost the weight I put on over Christmas. At least I haven't put on any more. I think I like my food too much. I blame it on Friday night at the club /pub.

Darth - your recipe sounds good. We only eat basmati rice at home because it has a lower GI than regular long grain rice. We cook ours in the microwave via absorption method and needs a little more water than long grain rice. Haven't see you refer to yourself as 'Chunks' for a while as in your recipe title.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 22:39
Here we go. I might have to edit this as I'm rattling it off in work, from memory.

Chunks' low-fat chicken curry:

You will need:

1 large chicken breast per person
1 small tub of plain yoghurt
tandoori masala or similar seasoning
tinned chopped tomatoes, 1 tin per 2 persons
1 large white onion, chopped
2 red onions, chopped
as much garlic as you like, chopped
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger (or larger if you fancy it)
2 chopped green chillis
1 tsp dried fenugreek
1 tsp dried cinammon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tbsp hot curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
a handful of curry leaves
chopped coriander

For the rice:

basmati rice
juice and rind of 1 lemon
juice and rind of 1-2 limes
mustard seeds
1 tbsp cooking oil (your preference)

1. Cube the chicken and marinate in a bowl overnight with the yoghurt and tandoori masala.
2. Next day, thread the chicken onto skewers and cook in the oven on a medium heat til properly cooked. Set aside.
3. Spray a frying pan with some 1-cal oil or a very small amount of regular oil and add the chopped RED onion, garlic and chilli. Fry for a few minutes til soft then transfer to a pot and cover with water to just above the onions. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
4.Put the tomatoes in another pot along with the turmeric and cinammon, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Liquidise the red onions, add to the tomatoes and set aside.
6. Put the WHITE onion in the blender with water up to half the height of the onion and blitz it, then add to the frying pan. It will look like mush but it's supposed to look like that. Keep reducing the mush until it looks more like a paste. Set aside.
7. Add the combined tomatoes and onions to a wok or large pan with 1 tbsp of oil and heat through. Add the white onion paste, heat through, then add the spices, curry leaves and chopped coriander.
8. Taste the curry and add more spices/chilli/whatever until it's how you like it.
9. Add the cooked chicken.

Lemon rice:

1. 2 handfuls of rice per person. You cannot go wrong with this measurement. If you feel like it, add a handful for the pot.
1. Add a little oil to the rice and dry fry on a low heat for a couple of minutes, then add boiling water. Feel free to use a lot of boiling water for the rice to prevent it going starchy.
2. Bring the rice to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes only. Remove from the heat and drain through a colander or sieve. Set aside.
3. Grate the rind from the fruit and squeeze all the juice out.
4. Add the juice to the frying pan, heat up and throw in a handful of mustard seeds.
5. Add the rind.
6. Once the mustard seeds start to pop, remove from the heat and pour the lot over the cooked rice and mix well.
7. Serve with the curry.

This seems like a lot to do but it's really not. If I have the rice and chicken already prepared, the whole thing takes about 45 minutes to an hour but it's well worth it, especially the rice.

Also, don't skip the white onion, it really makes a difference to the texture and flavour. You can also make the basic sauce without spices and freeze it in portions, to use whenever you feel like it.

Edited by Darth Disco - 11 Apr 2009 at 16:58
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 20:58
Don't ask. I have been eating cause I am bored that is how bored I am.  I gave up Chocolate, Crisp and Pasta for lent I don't even know if that worked what a joke.  Censored

My friend said my Jeans are loser yeah right whatever I can't see a differenceCry, I am in such a bad mood.
Sammy View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Nurse Rachet

Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 20:43
I've put on half a stone!!!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 19:40
So, over a quarter of the way through the year .... how are we doing?
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 17:57
Well for me, I think I'm in the middle and...no that's too easy

My figure looks above average
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
Sammy View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Nurse Rachet

Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 16:31
Originally posted by Wighty

Oh I really feel for you Sammy!!!

A friend of mine once had an alarm that she kept in the fridge. It was light sensitive so, every time she opened the door, the alarm would oink like a pig!! Anyone know where you can get one from?? LOL

You can still buy the oinking pigs that go in the fridge in those gadget type shops.
I got hubby a Homer Simpson cookie jar for xmas and baisically when you flip Homer's head open it says things to you so everyone in the house knows your at the biscuits.............. I am always moaning at the sheer quantity of biscuits Hubby consumes but since i've been home i seem to be raiding it more than him...........but the difference is i open the cookie jar and then leave it open so he cant hear how many times i'm delving in!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 14:05
Oh I really feel for you Sammy!!!

A friend of mine once had an alarm that she kept in the fridge. It was light sensitive so, every time she opened the door, the alarm would oink like a pig!! Anyone know where you can get one from?? LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 13:08
@ Sammy
Sammy View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Nurse Rachet

Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 11:33
Holy shit, i ate the whole house yesterday! i know its because i didnt eat for 5 days in hospital....but this is ridiculous! Why do i continually check the fridge everytime i go in the kitchen??????? its not as if anything has appeared by magic that wasnt in there 5 mins before! Fat fucker alert!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 17:54
Well the year of "Fit Tilly" has got off to a bad start. I'd arranged to go to the gym tonight with my pal who was gonna show me all the machinery. I've just cancelled, I can't be arsed . But I have been ice skating this morning, although I didn't do much, my legs are weak for some reason
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 16:00
Originally posted by Tilly5195

and drove there

Shouldn't you be jogging to the gym .....

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 12:25
I'll get my daughter to teach me how to use t this weekend!

I'm feeling all self righteous now cos I'm just back from my training session at the gym. What I can't understand is, for all the effort I put in, and I've had no alcohol since New Years Day and been very careful about what I'm eating, WHY THE HELL ISN'T THE WEIGHT COMING OFF????!!!

Between the weights we had an interesting discussion about fitness DVD's and how they only ever have fit stick insects in them! Why don't they use 'real' people? You have to be super fit to cope with the warm up in most of them, let alone doing the exercises.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>