I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Food and Drink
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prawns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prawns
    Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 21:06
I purchased some small frozen fresh water Prawns and I don't know what to do with them well what meals to put them in to and what with thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 21:10
Have they been cooked, i.e. pink instead of grey? Have a look at www.goodfood.co.uk for some ideas. If in doubt, there's always a prawn cocktail or prawn/mayo sarnie.
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 21:13

Thanks Butterfky, they are cooked.

I made a Rose Marie sauce for lunch with some today I was very impressed with myself
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 21:56
I've got a huge craving now for a prawn sarnie .....
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 10:34
I use that size prawn in fried rice. This is my recipe for it.

2-3 cups cooked rice
2 tablespoons oil
2 eggs
150 grams diced bacon
3 green shallots (that's what we call them - spring onions elsewhere)
     or 1/2 cup cooked peas if you don't like shallots
150 grams small cooked prawns
soy sauce

1. Beat eggs. Heat a wok or large frying pan. Add some of the oil and cover base of pan with it. Add the egg and swirl pan so the egg forms a thin pancake. When set on the bottom, flip over and cook for a minute. Remove from pan and dice egg.
2. Add rest of oil and cook bacon for 2-3minutes.
3. Add the rice and combine but don't stir with the bacon, until it is hot. NOTE - stirring rice constantly makes it gluggy.
4. Add the diced egg, shallots or peas and prawns. Combine and cook for another 2 minutes. Add enough soy sayce to taste (2 to 4 teaspoons) and combine so rice has an even colour.
5. Serve on its own or use as a side dish or with your favourite Chinese food.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 19:26
Lovely recipe Margi.  Prawns are great in asian / oriental dishes.  Ooh... I sense a call being placed to the local chinese takeaway very soon...  
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 20:27

That sounds lovely Margi thanks I will give it ago I think.

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 22:53
If you are still looking for prawn ideas for recipes to try? i found one for a prawn stir fry and a prawn curry, i can post them if you are interested?

BeverlyF View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote BeverlyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 19:58
I like to sauteed prawns in a white wine and put them over some pasta and alfredo sauce. I also like to put them in fried rice or a jambalaya. They're also good on the grill  but be careful not to overcook them as they can become dry and chewy. 
Beverly - what's your favorite brand of kitchen appliances
 Post Reply Post Reply