I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Food and Drink
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick and Easy Stew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 17:34
Herbed Lentil Stew

this is a vegetarian one, but i'm sure you can add meat? plus the lentils will make it filling like you wanted it says it is a typical middle eastern stew, a healthy mix of lentils, herbs and potatoes, flavoured wit hlemon and garlic, buti'm sure you can adapt it to suit your tastes

Cooking time: 15 minutes preparation, about one and a half hours cooking

Ingredients:
2 cups of red lentis
3 cups of water
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound of spinach, trimmed and chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled
juice of one lemon
half a teaspoon of salt
a quarter of a teaspoon cayenne pepper

Method:

1, wash the lentils, and put them in a pan, and add water, bring to the boil over high heat, cover the pan, and cook for 20 minutes
2. heat the oil in a heatprrof casserole dish, add the onion, and cook over a medium heat unitl the onion is transparant-should be a bout 5 minutes
3. add the garlic, and cook for 5 minute more, then add the spinach and cook fro another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. add the potatoes, and lentils with their cooking liquid ,to the pan, bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid, and simmer for one hour, or until thick. Add the lemon juice, salt and caynenen pepper just before serving, if desired.

i am guessing you can add your meat to it too?

Edited by vicki - 12 Sep 2008 at 17:51

Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 22:20
Thanks Vicki your a star Kiss
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 14:25
Originally posted by vicki

i am no expert on cooking, but i dont see any reason why you cant substitute the lamb with other meats? does anyone else know ??
i guess you could judt experiment and change thing s to suit your tastes

Yes you can substitute other meats for lamb e.g beef, chicken. Cooking times will vary depending on the cut of meat and how tough or tender the meat is. Some herbs may need to be substituted e.g. rosemary and beef don't really go together.
vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 17:51
thanks for that Margi I thought you might know, i have no idea, i just guess! lol but especially as I have been a vegetarian for nearly ten years, i am especially clueless about meat! ....
hope you have fun trying some of these out Catwoman, there are some more lol if you ever get stuck for ideas lol hope you enjoy your stews

Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 20:49

I will let you know how I get on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123