I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Food and Drink
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick and Easy Stew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ajkb7926 View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Matt's Ice Man

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ajkb7926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 19:15
god every one's age is coming out now

MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 15:19
When I first started teaching (30 years ago - hows that ajkb!!! and still teaching), it was called Home Science. It evolved some years later to Food Technology (looks more out industrial / commercial settings of food). I upgraded 10 years ago to teach Hospitality to seniors as a vocational course. We all have to wear chef uniforms for practical work for that course and my school is getting a commercial kitchen upgrade next year for the Hospitality classes.

Edited by MargiABC - 10 Sep 2008 at 15:23
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 15:29
Yes Please Vicki that will be great thankyou nod
vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 18:24
Originally posted by ajkb7926

god every one's age is coming out now

it was called that when my mum was at school, in the 1970s, when i was at school (slightly lol ) more recently ,we called it Food Technology

Sure Catwoman, i will copy them out and post them soon for you

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 18:42
Lancashire Hot Pot

Serves One, cooked in oven or on top of stove, depending on rest of meal

Oven Temperature: 350 o F, gas mark 4

Cooking Time: one hour, 30 minutes

Ingredients:
4 small pieces of lamb
1 medium onion
1 carrot
2 medium potatoes
piece of celery
piece of turnip(optional)
1 teaspoon bovril
quarter of a pint of water
a little chopped parsly(optional)

Method:
1. wash the meat
2.prepare the vegetables and cut everything up small, except for one potatoe
3.place the vegetables and meat in layers in casserole dish or saucepan, add seasoning
4. dissolve bovril in hot water and add to the meat and vegetables
5.slice the remaining potato thinly, and arrange on top, cover casserole pan with a lid
for cooking on top of stove: Bring the pan to the boil, reduce heat to the lowest and simmer for one hour and 30 minutes

OR

for cooking in the oven: place the casserole in oven at 350 o F, gas mark 4 for 45 minutes, Remove form oven, leave lid off and cook for atleast another 45 minutes

7. serve sprinkled with chopped parsley

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 18:43
it sounds quite easy to amke, but i done know what it is like , my mum and I are vegetarians so we have never tried it ourselves lol it is form an old recipe book, but i am sure you can adjust it to suit your tastes and add what else you want

i will have a look what other ideas are in this book.....

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 18:50
Ghoulash

serves one or two

Cooking time: 15 minutes!

Ingredients:
a little margarine
1 level tablespoon plain flour
1 tablespoon dried onion
any kind of meat(it says steak in the book? but im sure it can be any you like??)
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 level teaspoon paprika
a quarter of a pint of beef stock
seasoning
mashed potato or boiled rice

Method:
1. Melt the margarine in a saucepan
2. Add the flour, onion, meat,tomato puree, and paprika, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously
3. Add stock, season to taste, simmer gently, with ther saucepan lid on the saucepan for 10-12 minutes
4. Serve on a bad of mashed potato ,or of plain rice.

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 18:58
in another cookbook ,we have about 14 different stew and casserole recipes ! lol take your pick! it depends on what you like ,if you want the recipes of any of these, i can post these too: casseole of duckling, casserole of liver with mustard dumplings, shicken casserole with lemon, coq au vin, flemish beef stew, foresters casserole(has chicken in it)lancashire hot pot, new england chicken casserole, oxtail stew, pork oriental . swedish onion casserole, cauliflower crisp......
i didnt include the ones with rabbit, partride or veal in them .....
i might have some more ideas in oter cookbooks too
Good luck if you decide to attempt any of them!

Edited by vicki - 10 Sep 2008 at 18:59

Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 19:41
Thanks Vicki, for the Hotpot can I use a different meat than Lamb? I don't eat Lamb anymore.
vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 21:23
i am no expert on cooking, but i dont see any reason why you cant substitute the lamb with other meats? does anyone else know ??
i guess you could judt experiment and change thing s to suit your tastes

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 21:25
if you want somehting without meat, or for any fellow veggies out there, i have just found a recipe for a herbed lentil stew , if anyone wants it? but Catwoamn, im sure you could add some meat to it too, if you wanted ?

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 21:29
i have just found some more up-to -date recipes by Jamie Oliver, for stews : chicken stew, cod,potato and spring onion stew, dark, sticky stew(???!!!) and Moroccan stew, also a sausage casserole...

Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 22:22
Originally posted by vicki

if you want somehting without meat, or for any fellow veggies out there, i have just found a recipe for a herbed lentil stew , if anyone wants it? but Catwoamn, im sure you could add some meat to it too, if you wanted ?

Thanks Vicki.  I think that I will use meat in them, I have been eating a lot more Quorn recently, as well as Meat so I could try stuff with either or nod
vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 16:22
good to hear you are enjoying Quorn, i will post some more later then ,to give you some more ideas and keep you busy lol there are some that are quick and easy too, which is good

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 17:05
"Farmers Sausage Hotpot"

Ingredients:
1 lb sausages
2 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
1c qonion , chopped
1 cooking apple, chopped
1 tin of tomatoes
1 teaspoon of dried herbs

Method:
put all of the above ingredients into a casserole dish. Top with mashed potato, cook for one hour, on gas mark 4, 350 oF/ 180 o C.

Serve! for variation, grate some cheese on top of the mashed potato.

this one sounds particularly quick and simple

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 17:14
sausage Casserole

ingredients:

1 lb sausages
2 onions , sliced
2 oz. packet sausage casserole mix
tin beans in tomato sauce

Method:

Place the sausages, onions, and beans in casserole dish. Mix the packet mix with a quarter of a pint of water, and add to the dish. Bake at gas mark 5, 350 o F for one and a half hours

by the way, the 1 lb of sausages is 450 grammes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>