I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Food and Drink
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick and Easy Stew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick and Easy Stew
    Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 20:01
Does anyone know any good quick and easy Stew and something filling.  But also cheap too.

I made Corned Beef Hash which was nice, but I want to make other things
Yummy Mummy View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote Yummy Mummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 21:15
Cat, not sure if there is such a thing as a quick stew.  All the recipes I've seen for stews suggest cooking times of one and a half to 2 hours.  They are easy though.  I usually make stew in a pot and you can even chuck the potatoes in it too.  Alternatively they can be cooked in the oven.

Corned beef hash is brill, I love it.  Stir fry's are quick and easy.
Yummy Mummy
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 21:20
Try this website:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 09:40
I have a very nice alternative....its very easy and very nice.

its basically a tucan chicken stew. (anything you cook in one pot can be considered a stew)

In a big pot sweat some onion and garlic
take a breast of chicken per person and sear it in the pan..take out and rest
Get a load of fresh plum tomatoes and cut them up and throw in pan
season
put the lid on and lt them stew down to a juice

cut up a load of new potatoes throw in olive oil and roast in oven for hour

put the chicken back in the pot and leave for an hour

lovely with just some fresh greens
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 09:40
Chilli is also a stew...very easy and not hard work. 
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 20:52
Thanks Jon sounds delicous.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 12:33
Do you have one of those electric slow cookers that you put the stew ingredients into it in the morning, turn it on, go to work and at night dinner is ready when you come home? All I do when I get home is thicken it with some blended cornflour and water and 5 minutes later its ready.
Even though its a slow cooking process, it only needs 20-30 minutes of your time cutting everything up.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 13:41
The Good Food Magazine comes with a free booklet this month for "one pot" meals. We're into making tagines in this house but, like most stews, the longer you can leave them to cook the better they taste mmmmmmmmmmm.
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 16:14
Originally posted by MargiABC

Do you have one of those electric slow cookers that you put the stew ingredients into it in the morning, turn it on, go to work and at night dinner is ready when you come home? All I do when I get home is thicken it with some blended cornflour and water and 5 minutes later its ready.
Even though its a slow cooking process, it only needs 20-30 minutes of your time cutting everything up.

Unfortunately I haven't got a slow cooker.

Thanks Butterfly I think I may be purchasing that, or borrowing it from me Mum when I go home.

Edited by Catwoman - 06 Sep 2008 at 19:09
ajkb7926 View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Matt's Ice Man

Quote ajkb7926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 18:23
Originally posted by Catwoman

Originally posted by MargiABC

Unfortunately I haven't got a slow cooker.

Thanks Skating Queen I think I may be purchasing that, or borrowing it from me Mum when I go home.

call me stupid but where is skating queens post?

Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 19:08
Well I don't know how to do Multiple Posts.
ajkb7926 View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Matt's Ice Man

Quote ajkb7926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 19:09
catwoman, i wasn't trying to be rude i just wondered if there had been a post that had been deleted by skating queen that i missed. i wasn't trying to be rude. also how i got that quote inside a quote was by just quoting your post.

Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 19:10
Sorry AJKB.  I thought it was Skating Queen who replied to me.  I misread Butterfly.  My appologies.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 03:05
Catwoman - it was me - MargiABC. Its Ok.
vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 18:19
Catwoman, are you still looking for stew recipes and ideas? my mum has dug out a few of her old cookbooks that she used for her A-level home economics(as it was called then lol ) and there are a few ideas in them, they are from a book called Easy cooking for one or two, so everything is meant for just one person, quick and cheap, and easy to make too i can post the recipes if you are interested,

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 18:57
When I did Cooking at school it was called Domestic Science. Confused  It was a strange all girls School.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>