I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Computers and the like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrTWS View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 13:18
Elvee

The problem of backing up your stuff without using a CD or DVD can only be solved by investing in a External Hard Drive with USB Connection
Play dot com have one for £43.99 including delivery which is a 120GB size, probably more than ample for your files, emails, etc

Once you had backed all them up onto the drive, then as you say, the problem is then getting your system restored. I would try this

I assume its XP
Click start, and choose restart
As the computer restarts you see the Boot Up Screen and when you tap the DELETE key which is roughly in this place

Then that should interrupt the boot up sequence, but allow your CD drawer to open. I'm only guessing now, but it may be a software issue that shuts down your pc, and if it is, then you will know when you can or cannot put in the Restore Disc
If it works great
If it doesn't, then perhaps an investment in dare I say it, a new PC
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 19:07
I've got a problem! Well, not me but my sister's bf. Hope someone can help!

He has a Packard Bell iStart 1360 desktop but no recovery disc. All of his USB ports stopped working and there were loads of errors popping up so we had a little go with my recovery disc (different PC) just to see if we could get the USB ports to work after re-installing Windows. That worked, but now there's no sound. I know we need a Packard Bell recovery disc but apparently they didn't ship any with that model (so I've read on some sites) and if he DOES have one, it's in Wales and we're not. I also tried installing the sound card driver again to no avail.

I've tried rolling it back to a previous date but I can only go back as far as when I used MY disc on the computer. Is there a way to kick off the recovery process on this computer without the disc, or should I just try to get a proper copy of Windows, install it then do the drivers individually?
ajkb7926 View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Matt's Ice Man

Quote ajkb7926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 19:14
I would say get the proper copy of windows as if you dont use the right disk it may and i say may make the problem worse but best to ask MrTWS

James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 19:17
Originally posted by ajkb7926

I would say get the proper copy of windows as if you dont use the right disk it may and i say may make the problem worse but best to ask MrTWS

Well duh!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 19:40
I bought a new laptop in January and as soon as I got it it started switiching itself off for no reason, it wasn't overheating, there was only one internet window open but it would just lose power. It happened for a month and then seemed to fix itself and it didn't do it again. Now it's starting to do the same thing again, any idea what can be causing it??? thanks
ajkb7926 View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Matt's Ice Man

Quote ajkb7926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 22:50
i wont bother next time then sorry for trying to help chunks.

ashleigh: i had that problem and i just left my laptop then it stopped, it could be many of things, over used etc.

James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 22:54
Originally posted by ajkb7926

i wont bother next time then sorry for trying to help chunks.

Not a problem. I posted here because I assume MrTWS will know a smidgin more than you. I already know what I did with my own disc, I want to undo it if possible.
MrTWS View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 18:45
Originally posted by Chunks

I've got a problem! Well, not me but my sister's bf. Hope someone can help!

He has a Packard Bell iStart 1360 desktop but no recovery disc. All of his USB ports stopped working and there were loads of errors popping up so we had a little go with my recovery disc (different PC) just to see if we could get the USB ports to work after re-installing Windows. That worked, but now there's no sound. I know we need a Packard Bell recovery disc but apparently they didn't ship any with that model (so I've read on some sites) and if he DOES have one, it's in Wales and we're not. I also tried installing the sound card driver again to no avail.

I've tried rolling it back to a previous date but I can only go back as far as when I used MY disc on the computer. Is there a way to kick off the recovery process on this computer without the disc, or should I just try to get a proper copy of Windows, install it then do the drivers individually?

If you have the USB Ports working now, but no sound, then its a case of finding the correct sound drivers needed to get that up and going. What's the make and model number of the laptop?
MrTWS View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 18:47
PS
ajkb7926 even if chunks got a new windows xp disc, then the drivers would still be a problem since you normally would have a motherboard disc that has the software for modems, sound, graphics etc
MrTWS View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 18:50
Originally posted by ashleigh

I bought a new laptop in January and as soon as I got it it started switiching itself off for no reason, it wasn't overheating, there was only one internet window open but it would just lose power. It happened for a month and then seemed to fix itself and it didn't do it again. Now it's starting to do the same thing again, any idea what can be causing it??? thanks

If you only bought this in January take it back to the supplier and ask them to fix it or replace it. If it loses power for example without being plugged in to direct current, then it could be a battery issue, or whatever, but its only five months old so it should be under warranty
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 19:49
Originally posted by MrTWS

If you have the USB Ports working now, but no sound, then its a case of finding the correct sound drivers needed to get that up and going. What's the make and model number of the laptop?

It's a Packard Bell iStart 1360. I already have what I think are the necessary drivers but I didn't have any success. Your point about the motherboard disc makes a lot of sense. I've never had to use mine but I'll make sure my sister's bf gets it sent up and we'll have another go. There's probably a really simple solution and I'm not one for giving up.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 20:21
Mr TWS, do you know a good program to use to make wallpaper ?
ajkb7926 View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Matt's Ice Man

Quote ajkb7926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 21:51

paint shop pro, photoshop, paint, etc.

MrTWS View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 17:17
Originally posted by Tilly5195

Mr TWS, do you know a good program to use to make wallpaper ?

Photoshop is the best but expensive. A good free alternative is Paint Net which is free to use and download. Most wallpapers should be created at 1024x768 pixels as this prevents loss of quality etc

However, a great site which is absolutely FREE and has no pop ups, or any other crud, is David Pyle. He has stacks of stuff and I happened to find his site just by chance about a year or two ago. Go this link and grab whatever desktop papers suit you. They are all high quality and no probs. I tend to have a folder called Desktop Enhancement, and then just pop all the pictures into one neat place, and change the background whenever I please
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 17:19
Cheers Mr TWS
MrTWS View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 17:37
Originally posted by Chunks

Originally posted by MrTWS

It's a Packard Bell iStart 1360. I already have what I think are the necessary drivers but I didn't have any success. Your point about the motherboard disc makes a lot of sense. I've never had to use mine but I'll make sure my sister's bf gets it sent up and we'll have another go. There's probably a really simple solution and I'm not one for giving up.

If this is right below then:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/10/2007, 22:09:00
Machine name: FARHAD
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050928-1517)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Packard Bell BV
System Model: ISTART 1360
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1278MB RAM
Page File: 481MB used, 1926MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Then there's a very good chance the soundcard is a Realtek HD Audio - Driver version 5.10.0000.5282 (English) - If it is jump over to Realtek and download the package that applies, either Vista or XP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>