I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How were you named?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lena4stefan View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash
Frankette

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lena4stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How were you named?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 21:45
How did you get your name? Mine is quite a long story in both how I was named and how it is pronounced and spelt, so i'd be interested to know how other people's parents decided on their name.

pinkie_princess View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote pinkie_princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 21:52
i'm not sure if this is why sarah is my name but it means princess in hebrew - hence my BR name pinkie princess - i'm a princess who loves pink!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 22:05
I think my mum just liked my first name-Zoe. Zoe is Greek and it means life.

maz007 View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap
Matt's Ice Maiden

Quote maz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 22:23
I'm French/English so my parents decided to give me a French name (Marielle) that has an English form (Mary)

Edited by maz007 - 07 Feb 2008 at 22:25
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 22:36
Originally posted by maz007

I'm French/English so my parents decided to give me a French name (Marielle) that has an English form (Mary)

That is a nice story Maz Smile

My mum liked my name for a long time so they called me Karen.

James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 23:10
I'm adopted and my original name was John but my parents changed it to James, after my dad and grandad. I was only 7 weeks old so I've never actually answered to anything but James or Jamie. People who forget my name seem to always call me Steven though. I must just look like a Steven.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 10:07
I was named after my gran who was also a Jane.  My sis was named after my grandad who, although his name was actually John used to be better known as Jack, hence my sis was named Jacqueline (now known as Jackie).

Chunks - your 'Steven' story made me laugh because my hubby is called Chris, but there's a bouncer at a music bar we go to who has spent years calling him Dave every time he sees him - and anybody who forgets his name also always seem to call him Dave too LOL 

Edited by JanDanFan - 08 Feb 2008 at 10:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 11:00
My dad chose my name & went to the registry office to get the certificate done while Mom was still in the maternity ward because he knew she didn't like it!  Angry

Neither did I, so I changed it by deed poll to something I did like as soon as I was legally of an age to be able to do so.  LOL

Edited by Strawberry Pez - 08 Feb 2008 at 11:00
Rose View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Madam Whiplash

Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 12:52

I think after 2 aunts - have one in both sides of my family tree ..
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 13:12
Jonathan because it wasnt popular at the time and my folks didnt want to give me a name everyone else had (there were about 2 million richards in my year alone)
Laura View Drop Down
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 15:43
My sister always maintains it was because she loved 'Little House on the Prairie' (written by, and about the life of, Laura Ingalls Wilder). neither of my parents have ever confirmed this was their reasoning

Edited by Laura - 08 Feb 2008 at 15:43
chloej View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote chloej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 16:41
my mum called me after a little girl on an australiain tv show country practice they could have chosen her real name emily nicole but called me by the name she played..plus my aunty is called molly which was the name of her mother in the show
chloe
Hevcat View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote Hevcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 18:27
My parents liked it I think...Helen isn't a very common name (all the Helens I know are over 30 LOL). It means 'bright' in Greek .
lena4stefan View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash
Frankette

Quote lena4stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 19:18
So does my name! lol, though mine is Helena so I guess they both mean the same thing. There are 3 Helens in my school year so there still are some young Helens out there Smile
My auntie (my dad's sister) was called Helen but she died about a month before my mum found out she was pregnant with me, so my parents decided to name me after her. It wasn't until after she died though that people found out that her name was actually Helena (Hel-ee-na) but she had just been called Helen all her life (my nan was a Catholic and so wanted to name all her children saints names- i'm not sure if there is a St Helen but I know there is a  St.Helena so perhaps why she did this?) so that's why Helena is spelt like you pronounce it Helen-a. I thought it was really sweet when I was first told that.
I sometimes just use Lena though cos its shorter and people can pronounce that lol

killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 19:33

There was something to do with Greece when giving me a name by my parents, but I've now forgotten... Embarrassed

Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 19:37
Originally posted by lena4stefan

So does my name! lol, though mine is Helena so I guess they both mean the same thing. There are 3 Helens in my school year so there still are some young Helens out there Smile
My auntie (my dad's sister) was called Helen but she died about a month before my mum found out she was pregnant with me, so my parents decided to name me after her. It wasn't until after she died though that people found out that her name was actually Helena (Hel-ee-na) but she had just been called Helen all her life (my nan was a Catholic and so wanted to name all her children saints names- i'm not sure if there is a St Helen but I know there is a  St.Helena so perhaps why she did this?) so that's why Helena is spelt like you pronounce it Helen-a. I thought it was really sweet when I was first told that. I sometimes just use Lena though cos its shorter and people can pronounce that lol

I'm always given to pronouncing it Hel-ay-na for some reason. Either way, I do like that name.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>