I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Reading Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what are you currently reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:47
Deborah - did you used to live near Randwick? I grew up in Kingsford. I tend to buy books from Big W (up to 35% cheaper than recommended retail or I wait until Borders has a big sale.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:53
Is Amazon not as cheap for books in Australia as it is here? I get most of mine from there now. I've even bought used books for a couple of quid that were in near-perfect condition.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 04:41
I've never used Amazon before, although I have bought other items on line. I should give them a go.

I just had a look at their website. I noticed there is an Amazon site in the UK, USA, Canada, but none for Australia. I did find a similar site in Australia and the prices were comparable to Big W, but I can find books that may no longer be on the shelf in that store, so that would be a bonus.

Edited by MargiABC - 13 Jan 2010 at 04:55
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 20:06

Almost at the end of 'Dalek, I Loved You' by Nick Griffiths.

This is a nice nostalgic meander through the 1970's, as Griffiths recounts how he got into Doctor Who and how his relationship with it changed as he grew up.  It's not solely about the Doctor though!  He is the same age as me (give or take a year), so his cultural references are the same as mine and most things he writes about I can remember how I felt about them too.  He even mentions Billy Mackenzie, known to those only over a certain age Cry

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 11:24
Just finished reading the Godspeaker novels, quite hard to get into but good never the less.

Also been reading the Merry Gentry books as light reading, very saucy I have to say!
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 13:35
Oh the Merry Gentry books look like my sort of thing. Not the sauciness although I don't mind that (obv), but the whole premise. I've got the new Stephen King (The Dome), The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory and the Mary, Queen of Scots book to finish first. One of these is going to be ditched I think.
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 13:49
ooh is the King one any good, I almost picked that up... The Merry Gentry ones are good, very easy reading and very steamy
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 16:31
They're comparing it to The Stand on the cover blurb. I've only read the first chapter and to be honest it reads like it's been written with a movie version in mind. A woodchuck cutely going about its daily business, a woman flies a private plane just above the town, a man with a past (most likely the hero of the whole thing) gets ready to leave town for good and then the dome appears from nowhere. The woodchuck gets cut clean in half while the man with the past watches in amazement, thinking a few seconds later that could have been him, and the plane explodes overhead.

No idea what the dome is, who put it there or what purpose it serves but I hope it's aliens.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 16:54
Do magazines count? GQ, ReFresh, Men's Health (I only look at the pictures)
I've got but have yet to read, Relentless by Dean Kootnz about a novelist who gets tangled up with an insane critic, might start it this week
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 16:59
You forgot to mention Bella. Actually I quite like those magazines for all the unfortunates that send in their true-life tales.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 09:13
Originally posted by MargiABC

Deborah - did you used to live near Randwick? I grew up in Kingsford. I tend to buy books from Big W (up to 35% cheaper than recommended retail or I wait until Borders has a big sale.

I only just read your post, forget where i posted!!
Yep i lived in clovelly, infact just sold my house in August, moved  back to England!!! (why, i must be mad!!)
miss the hot weather, swimming, beaches etc....
seriously tho, following the work thing!! better a job, than non
my hubby relocated from sydney, to canada, to holland, to brunei, to england,next to????think we'll have to stay here for a while cos of high school (kids), unless we've all had enough after 4 years (got a bit of the moving bug now)
we did emigrate to sydney tho, where he worked for ICI, botany, I worked for Westpac, as a programmer.
A friend of mine, and ex colleague, sadly died last year, lived in Kingsford all his life (only age 40)- brain tumour, i blame those early 'brick' phones myself.
Used to go the the leagues club there with him, and his mates.
anyway i used to buy my books, in second hand store in randwick, next to Randwick cinema.
I suppose there's a chance we could move to Perth next, a lot quieter tho than Sydney!!
Might get there (Aus)for Xmas !!!!! we'll see.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 15:46
Perth is nice and quiet, went there for a holiday 3 years ago and came back on the Indian Pacific. I'm still a member of Souths Jnrs and go there occasionally, but I have lived in Campbelltown since I started teaching over 30 years ago. We severed ties with Kingsford last year when we sold the family home. My late parents bought the house in 1954.

Borders bookstore out here is a 2 storey shop at Macarthur Square. My niece's favourite store, but I only buy books or CDs from there when a sale is on as they can be pricey otherwise. They usually charge a lot more for DVDs than other stores too.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 14:12
books way dearer in Aus, even 2nd hand in the spot at Randwick
I buy most of mine here from the local charity shops between a pound, and £1.50, (about 2-3 aussie dollars now, with exchange rate)
I like Brisbane too, i was lucky enough to go there twice last year, I have a friend who moved there just over a year ago, so got to see her.
Kids loved the gold coast.
still reading Frank Skinner here, have got a lot of Jeremy Clarkson books to get thru too, as picked a few up for 99p each, at another charity/church sale here.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
moonshine View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote moonshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 01:23
i am reading danielle steels safe harbour

half way through still not alot happening this is my first time with this author are they all like this please note i have said i am half way through so dont please tell me the ending i got this far i want to finish it now
moonshine
pinklady46 View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote pinklady46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 20:43
nodnodI recently read Dear me  a letter to my sixteen year old self by a group of celebrities it was a great book
you have to be in it to win it Big Brother here i come
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 19:55
I am going to be reading True Blood I am looking forward to reading the book.

Edited by Catwoman - 01 May 2010 at 19:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>