I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

*Brand New Bitch Thread*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 19:24
I quite agree Butterfly - got my working tax credit through this week!!!!! That should help until I can start earning properly again in August.
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Online Status: Offline
  Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 21:23
Don't think there's anything for me to bitch about right now...
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 22:16
Originally posted by Hatshepsut

I couldn't agree more, Butterfly. And it doesn't get any better as you get older. If an older person goes into residential care, their assets are frozen and have to be used to pay the bills for care.
I thought there was a test case that proved this was illegal - or was that only forcing the sale of the person's house?
mais View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote mais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 22:32
I looked at a nursing home the other week for possibly putting my father in it. According to the leaflets I got providing he didn't have over £22,000 in savings he would get help with the cost.

The only thing I've found is that because my father has never owned his own house he gets better help then people like us who own our house. At the moment he also gets housing benefit, which he is entitled to and doesn't pay much rent and no council tax.

For anyone with elderly relatives it's worth looking into what benefits they are entitled to. It is often said in papers that a lot of people don't claim for things, so, it is worth looking into. ( just general information I thought I would mention. )

Edited by mais - 28 Feb 2009 at 22:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 23:51
Originally posted by mais

For anyone with elderly relatives it's worth looking into what benefits they are entitled to. It is often said in papers that a lot of people don't claim for things, so, it is worth looking into. ( just general information I thought I would mention. )

<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

I would recommend that you talk with your local Age Concern office too. They are well versed in all these matters...especially the minefield of form filling in regards to benefits.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 09:06
The one that really bugs me at the moment is the EMA for students. My daughter doesn't qualify for this, yet some of her friends do. We cannot aford to give her £30 a week "pocket money" with an extra £100 "Christmas bonus". She's hoping to go to university next year and, to be honest, we'd probably be a lot better off financially if Mr Butterfly were to lose his job and we started to claim, claim, claim.

ajkb7926 View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Matt's Ice Man

Quote ajkb7926 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 09:57
Originally posted by Butterfly

The one that really bugs me at the moment is the EMA for students. My daughter doesn't qualify for this, yet some of her friends do. We cannot aford to give her £30 a week "pocket money" with an extra £100 "Christmas bonus". She's hoping to go to university next year and, to be honest, we'd probably be a lot better off financially if Mr Butterfly were to lose his job and we started to claim, claim, claim.

yeah i have the same problem. it is really annoying especially when the people get it go splashing the money on alcohol and the rest of it.

i have no problems with them spending some of it on quality clothes for school as you need some decent clothes for school but not over the top.

we are looking into other ways of getting money from the government for my schooling.

skating Queen View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer
Grown Woman Who Should Know Better

Quote skating Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 13:21

A colleague of mine worked in College before joining our school has said that a lot of kids who get them EMA just turn up at lessons to get their form signed so they can get their money.  It's totally unfair on the kids who want to stay on at school/go to college who don't qualify for it.

Edited by skating Queen - 01 Mar 2009 at 13:23
Hatshepsut View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote Hatshepsut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by Strawberry Pez

Originally posted by Hatshepsut

I couldn't agree more, Butterfly. And it doesn't get any better as you get older. If an older person goes into residential care, their assets are frozen and have to be used to pay the bills for care.
I thought there was a test case that proved this was illegal - or was that only forcing the sale of the person's house?

It's a nightmare, Pez - incredibly complicated. No wonder so many older people do not claim benefits to which they are entitled! There have been test cases which have changed the rules, but these are, as yet, only discretionary. Regrettably, it's another postcode lottery, as some councils still enforce this. Clicky

The basic fact remains - if you have any assets, they will find some way of taking them from you. My grandmother was 95 when she finally moved into residential care. Her house was sold and the proceeds used to fund her care. She died about two months after the local authority took over responsibility for the payments, leaving a small amount that was inherited by her three children.

My mother-in-law was in a similar position, but when her assets got down to the level where the local authority takes over, they said the care home she was in was too expensive, so she would either have to move to another home, or the family would have to make up the difference. Ironically, the rules would not allow the difference to be made up from her remaining funds, so we agreed we would find the money between us. Thankfully, the powers that be decided that it would be detrimental to her health to move her to another home, so they agreed to meet the full cost. This is not always the case.

If my mother's Alzheimers gets to the point where my Dad can't cope and she has to go into a home, the property would be disregarded as my Dad still lives there, but any other assets she has would be used to fund her care.

Of course, in a credit crunch, property is difficult to sell, so local authorities run a scheme for deferring payments. However, this is now having a knock-on effect, since councils are feeling the pinch as they are having to fund more care upfront, without any corresponding compensation from central Government.

It's good advice to get information from your local Age Concern, or from their website, which has masses of downloadable information. Clicky

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time." - Robin Williams
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 16:01
I worked in estate agency during the last housing downturn (early-mid 90s) and it was heart-breaking seeing people having to put their elderly parents' houses on the market only to get a measly return for the years of hard work that bought them in the first place.  It's just so wrong, and one of the reasons I got out of estate agency as fast as I could.

Not that the agency I worked for was horrid - it was a single-branch independent, and very ethically run believe it or not - it was just seeing the effect that a poor housing market had on people facing repossession or forced sales for care fees.

Butterfly, I know exactly where you're coming from re. the EMA.  Jnr doesn't qualify for it either - Mr Pez earns just a few quid too much - while one of his classmates can get it because his parents don't take a direct income from their (very successful) family business.  This is the same friend whose parents recently paid for him to have an intensive course of driving lessons for his 17th birthday and bought him a car for Christmas!

Being a bit of a maverick on occasion I understand that rules are made to be broken, but surely people who can afford it shouldn't claim it - show some common decency toward those that need it at least.

Edited by Strawberry Pez - 01 Mar 2009 at 16:03
lena4stefan View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash
Frankette

Quote lena4stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 17:46
Originally posted by ajkb7926

yeah i have the same problem. it is really annoying especially when the people get it go splashing the money on alcohol and the rest of it.

i have no problems with them spending some of it on quality clothes for school as you need some decent clothes for school but not over the top.

we are looking into other ways of getting money from the government for my schooling.

I get £20 a week EMA, and I'm saving all of it for university. I think it is a good idea in principle, but I do agree that it is annoying when people cheat the system or waste it on alcohol and stuff, though personally everyone I know who gets it puts it to good use. I can understand how frustrating it must be if you are close to the boundary for receiving it, as I think next year I may go down to £10 a week as we are currently JUST within the boundary for £20...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 12:20
Be careful the next time you "slam" the door in someones face when they call at your door selling some sort of crap .... they might just gob over your car! Needless to say, the little shit, when confronted, wiped his gob off of our car with his sleeve.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 12:49

Be careful the next time you "slam" the door in someones face when they call at your door selling some sort of crap .... they might just gob over your car! Needless to say, the little shit, when confronted, wiped his gob off of our car with his sleeve.

Ha! Love it. Apart from the Vans/skinny jeans combo that ALWAYS ruins my day when I have to look at it (so dirty looking), what's mostly pissed me off today is people just not listening when I'm relaying info over the phone. I'm heartily sick of having to repeat myself 3 or 4 times because people are disinterested or just plain stupid. What's worse is that it's not even contractors, but our own staff. It pisses me off no end.

James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 13:07
Oh and thank God I finish in two hours because if I have to listen to another nasal Yorkshire accent I'm going to go postal. No offence to any members from Yorkshire but it's all I've had all morning. Seems to be one region in my company where they can't get through the day without some bloody instructions.

Sorry but it's true.
coop View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer
Dan's Diva

Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 03:12
Hello, not posted outside DOI thread before (I don't think!) so here goes:

Changing room curtains that don't fit!!!!  Argh, I've had an awful day looking for a dress for a formal event, and ended up in a few stores with curtains as opposed to solid doors on changing rooms.
I don't want to frighten the horses, I'm not thin, I'd scare fellow shoppers if they could see what I see in the mirror, but these stores seem to have a policy of providing one dodgy curtain like you used to get on old photo booths that don't quite cover the entire door, meaning I have tried clothes on while spread out like the man from the start of World in Action trying to keep all corners of the stupid thing in place,  and have pulled a muscle in my leg.

Rant over.  I hope this was what the bitch thread was designed for.  If not, I apologise.
Come on Dan and Roxy!
Sammy View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Nurse Rachet

Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 13:17
Originally posted by coop

Hello, not posted outside DOI thread before (I don't think!) so here goes:

Changing room curtains that don't fit!!!!  Argh, I've had an awful day looking for a dress for a formal event, and ended up in a few stores with curtains as opposed to solid doors on changing rooms.

I don't want to frighten the horses, I'm not thin, I'd scare fellow shoppers if they could see what I see in the mirror, but these stores seem to have a policy of providing one dodgy curtain like you used to get on old photo booths that don't quite cover the entire door, meaning I have tried clothes on while spread out like the man from the start of World in Action trying to keep all corners of the stupid thing in place,  and have pulled a muscle in my leg.

Rant over.  I hope this was what the bitch thread was designed for.  If not, I apologise.

Hi coop, this is exactly what this thread is designed for. And i totally agree with you! Bloody shop changing rooms.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>