I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > The Theatre & Music Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mika!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mika!
    Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 16:47
Anyone loving him yet? I managed to get my grubby paws on his album (it's not out til next month) and I absolutely love it. There's a huge Scissor Sisters influence which is alright in my book. In fact, his album is what I hoped Ta Dah would sound like. Mega catchy, camp and I highly recommend it if you're a Scissor Sisters fan.
Laura View Drop Down
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 16:55
first few times i heard Grace Kelly i hated it and him. the musical equivalent of Russell Brand *but* i may yet change my mind.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 17:00
Oh I hope you do Laura! First time I listened to his album I had a big cheesy grin right round my chops!
Laura View Drop Down

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 17:04
but is he fun or is he self-consciously ripping off freddie mercury? he might grow on me if he's fun.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 17:25
I think he's fun. He references Beck quite a lot when he talks about his style but I don't know much of Beck so I can't comment. I don't hear Freddie in there at all, it's all about the Scissor Sisters.

Edited by Chunks - 17 Jan 2007 at 17:25
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 15:45
I've only seen him the once on Jools Holland and I thought he was interesting, Can't see any Beck in it at all! Interesting artist but perhaps will suffer from the Conatsnat references to Freddie. ANd, of course, the albatross of being named the "person to look out for in 2007"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 16:57
He's being promoted loads on Radio 2 at the moment, too.  Steve Wright is giving away Mika gig tickets this week.

The single is OK, but I need to hear more before I decide one way or another.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 17:06
For those who don't know Mika, this is he. MOre Victoria WOod meets Jake Thackeray than Freddy Mercury for me. I really like Victoria and Jake (RIP) by the way.

Mika - Grace Kelly
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 21:22
He is nothing like Fredde Mercury, not even close.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 08:18
I agree. I don't see where people can make the comparison. At any rate, the guy's just starting out; it'd be unfair to make comparisons to someone like Freddie Mercury. Scissor Sisters, yes, but it's all in the sound and it's not in all of the songs.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 15:25
Originally posted by Laura

first few times i heard Grace Kelly i hated it and him. the musical equivalent of Russell Brand *but* i may yet change my mind.

Nooooo, he's great! I didn't get the Freddie Mercury reference first few times I heard it (thought he was referring to Freddie from Nightmare on Elm Street
aherm)

He's 'borrowed' heavily from quite a few people but it works, I love it, plus the lyricsd are great fun (somehow I've learnt them already!).

One more thing, the very beginning and the kerching at the end sound really amateur as if he recorded those bits in his mum's basement, listen out for them.

The video's weirdsville and the little girl's a bit of a scary Mary (his sis?)

Video of Grace Kelly here

Because of all the keys changes and special effects I thought the live version would be really ropey, but nope it shows just what a talented singer this guy really is

Live on Jools Holland

Laura View Drop Down

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 16:10
i HATE the kerching bit.

and i saw him wearing red skinny trousers and braces on something the other day which was far too plastic bertand for me

there are definitely worse musical crimes though (Joss Stone I mean YOU!) and it's damn catchy.

Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 16:18
yep I likes it
Feather_boa View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin
Matt's Ice Maiden

Quote Feather_boa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2007 at 17:07

Edit - Duplicate post, please ignore

Edited by Feather_boa - 04 Feb 2007 at 17:11
Feather_boa View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin
Matt's Ice Maiden

Quote Feather_boa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2007 at 17:11
Originally posted by Laura

And what, may I ask, is wrong with Russell Brand  Actually no, wait don't answer that! I love him, but I think he may be a bit of an acquired taste.
Back on topic, I love "Grace Kelly" but I think I'll need to hear more of Mika before I buy the album (which is called Life in Cartoon Motion, if I'm not mistaken). *bangs head on computer desk* I will not make an impulse purchase! I didn't like the version of Grace Kelly that Mika did on Jools Holland though....it was, erm, interesting to say the least!
I can see where the Freddie Comparison is coming from, especially on the line in Grace Kelly where he sings "I tried a bit off Freddie....."
sezzlefairy View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote sezzlefairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2007 at 23:07
yeah he's awesome
that song is amazing
and the video is funny! xx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>