I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Forever In Our Thoughts
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pauly Walters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pauly Walters
    Posted: 21 Oct 2006 at 12:33
Such sad news, I always hoped Pauly would return one day. Condolences to all who loved him.

Paul Walters, long-time producer of Sir Terry Wogan's Radio 2 breakfast show, has died in hospital aged 59 following a long illness.
Walters, known to millions as Dr Wally, joined the BBC's film department in 1974, moving to Radio 2 in 1977.

He is credited with introducing artists such as Katie Melua and Eva Cassidy to the British public.
"To know Paul Walters was to love him. His character was in his smile," said Sir Terry.
"He was charming and he was relaxed, almost to the point of sleep sometimes. He was the self-styled 'best putter in the world' and he was also the best music programmer in the world. Millions of listeners will mourn the loss of a friend. Me too," he added.

Lesley Douglas, Controller for BBC Radio 2, said: "Paul Walters was a uniquely talented producer. He loved radio, music and Wake Up To Wogan.
"In return he was loved by every individual who knew him in Radio 2, and by millions of listeners to the station. His relationship with Terry Wogan produced magical radio which will be remembered with affection for years to come," she added.

Walters, who first worked with Wogan in 1980, produced the award-winning Wake Up To Wogan show until his illness was diagnosed in November 2005. He continued to be involved with choosing the music for the programme during his illness.

Walters, who grew up in Hertfordshire, leaves a brother and sister.

veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2006 at 12:39

Edited by veronica - 21 Oct 2006 at 12:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2006 at 14:42
 No words ...
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2006 at 15:06
You can read some tributes left by listeners here and also leave your own tribute if you wish.

I had to stop reading, it made me cry, soppy old bugger!

For Pauly

Edited by veronica - 21 Oct 2006 at 15:07
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 08:50
If anyone missed Terry's tribute show on Monday and would like a copy I have a recording of it in MP3 format. PM me if you want a copy and I'll brun one off, I'll have to post it as it's too big to email!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 19:33
I believe it's online at the BBC on Terry's web page, too, Veronica - but only until it gets repaced by next Monday's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_aod.shtml?radio2/r2_wogan_mon
dipsofairy View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote dipsofairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 21:35
I would dearly love a copy of this show - can you email me at kate.morrissey@which.net and I will email you privately my address.  Many many thanks.

Kate
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker.
Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of "crackpot" than the stigma of conformity
mikecoe45 View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote mikecoe45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2006 at 22:50
I would also like a copy of this show. I was on holiday that week and it was something Terry said this morning that made think that Pauly was no longer with us. I think everyone was wondering whether he would be back with the team, but the news of his death comes as a shock.

Can you email me at mike[dot]coe[AT]writtle[dot]ac[dot]uk and I send you my address.

Thanks
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply