I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > The Reading Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'Celebrity' biographies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Celebrity' biographies
    Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 13:54
There seems to be an ever increasing number of 'celebrity' biographies, particularly by footballers (though they are ghost written) is it just me who finds them annoying.

For example the latest ones are
David Hasslehoff
Adam Ant
Peter Andre
Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard
Ashley Cole
Wayne Rooney

Not to mention a forthcoming Rio Ferdinand one and a rather convenient re-release of Steve Irwin's (written by Mrs Irwin)

These seem to be rather infesting the market at the moment.
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 14:09
What gets me is that some "celebs" are on their third auto biography....

Shouldnt they be sued for missing so much out of the original one?
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 14:53
It's just a lazy way of filling the bookshelves I suppose.
The sad thing is they push out a lot of gifted writers.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 16:47

Sadly, they fulfil the cravings of our increasingly celeb-obsessed society. 

I never mourned the secularisation of society until I realised that organised religion hadn't disappeared but merely changed it's focus; the holy book of the masses is no longer the King James Authorised, but the Max Clifford unauthored.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Online
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 22:42
it has also devalued the worth of good biographies - which I really enjoy but a biography of twenty odd year old seems crazy
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 00:32
I haven't read many biographies. I just about managed Jordan's , I got through one chapter of Jodie Marsh's before I threw it away and I couldn't stop vomiting through Paul Burrell's. I made it halfway through his. I did however read ALL of Dolly Parton's autobiography which was fab, and Piers Morgan's is very interesting too and I tore through that in a few days. It's really easy to read. I'd have had a go at Pete Burns' one but having read the liner notes on his greatest hits CD (written by him) I think I'll give it a miss.

I agree with the Bren about the biographies of 20 year olds. What the fuck have THEY got to say? Will Young, Gareth Gates et all, come ON! I'd rather read a book by someone with a bit of life experience and maybe learn something from them.
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 08:03
I agree also, don't get me wrong I enjoy a good biography but from someone who has lived a bit.
I loved Eric Sykes' but he is a good example of a guy who has had an intersting life. Not some overpaid twat who boots a ball about.
lisa View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Matt's Ice Maiden

Quote lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 08:57
I read Jodie's was ok I have Sharon Ozbornes to read my mother in law said it was quite good, read Kerry Katonas only to find out she never wrote it was a ghost writer and was rubbish!!
I have mel B from spice girls to read also and Lita from WWE.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 10:41
Originally posted by Veronica

I agree also, don't get me wrong I enjoy a good biography but from someone who has lived a bit.
I loved Eric Sykes' but he is a good example of a guy who has had an intersting life. Not some overpaid twat who boots a ball about.

Spot on, V. 

I don't tend to read biographies as a general rule, but really enjoyed the Freddie Mercury one that was out a few years ago (written about him by a journalist, obviously) and I want to get my hands on a copy of "In his own words", too - but that's me being a Freddie fan.

Frank Skinner's was a good read, though - very frank, in all respects - and was appealing because he is a local lad to me.

Edited by Strawberry Pez - 20 Sep 2006 at 10:42
anna View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 10:57
I don`t read many biographies, unless they have to tell me something. Somebody gave me the Shiela Hancock one. The two of us. I did enjoy that. More so because I loved John Thaw.

Edited by anna - 20 Sep 2006 at 10:58
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 13:24
I have never read an autobiography *proud*
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 13:56
Not even Jade Goody's?
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Online
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 23:47
must admit have not read many biography's of living people and have never read an autobiography
Laura View Drop Down
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2006 at 22:19
Originally posted by Jonnyboy

I have never read an autobiography *proud*

now you mention it, i don't think i have either. yet there are some, even footballers, lives i can imagine would be interesting from the horse's mouth (and no, i don't mean esther rantzen). Pez, I have heard good reports of Frank Skinner's book from a friend
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2006 at 20:19
I have heard good things about Frank Skinner's too.
jacqui View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote jacqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2007 at 19:57
i read nelson mandelas which was amazing. robbie williams is quite good too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>