I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Reading Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'Celebrity' biographies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 07:28
I read Melissa Gilbert's biography(best known for playing Laura Ingalls or Half Pint from Little House on the Prairie). It was called a Prairie Tale. She has led / is leading a very interesting life.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 14:45

I've just read Les Dennis's and Brenda Blethyn's

also half way thru Chris Evan's
Just started Martin Kemp's   "True"
Alll charity shop buys at £1.49 for hardbacks!!!!!
(try not to pay full price for books these days)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 08:00
Now reading Ulrika Jonsons " Honest'
Don't know much about Ulrika, as i have been overseas for the main part of her being on TV here, but can't put the book down!!
Very good reading, have  read the part where she was raped by said BBC presenter (who every one now knows alledgedly) altho he was never named in the book, along with a footballer who she had a relationship with(in which there was no abuse, just for privacy reasons)
Missed the whole Stan Collymore business, so didn't know about that abusive relationship.
Recomend it, altho think it may of been written about 6 years ago (another charity shop buy of mine) so think it only may go up to her 2nd or possibly 3rd child.

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 18:05
I've just bought Katie Piper and Patrick Swayze one mentioned on a previous page.  Yet to read either but I'm looking forward to reading Katie Piper's book.  Amazing what she has acheived in the face of adversity.
Posy View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Posy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 19:30
Have just finished Susan Boyles autobiography which I bought from a charity shop today (wanted to read it for awhile but did not want to pay full price for it), interesting to she how she sees things. Have a copy of John Bishops autobio on my Kindle which I am part way through and as he lived near to where I onced lived in Cheshire a lot of the places he mentions are familiar to me and my bedside story at present is We bought a zoo by Richard Mee which I have read before and have borrowed this from work before the film comes out and the boys at school may want to read it then!
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 14:25
We've got John bishop's book, I haven't read it though. Since my last post on this thread I've read Warwick Davis's book. That is brilliant.

I enjoyed Katie Piper's one too.

I have Clarissa do dah's Spilling the Beans to read for my book club.
SueM View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 17:35
Just finished Lynda Bellingham's There's Something I've Been Dying To Tell You. Black in places but so funny in others. I hope |I'm as brave if the same thing happens to me.

Just starting Graham Norton's book. Am expecting a good read, judging by the write ups on the net. I am also ploughing through Hilary Clinton's. I say ploughing in the size of the book way! I am actually enjoying it and tend to use it as my weekend read.

I love John Bishop. Is the autobiog as funny as the man?
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 12:20
Probably, dp was laughing. I haven't read it yet.
Posy View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Posy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 06:53
Sue with regards to the John Bishop book it's funny in places but thought provoking in others. Did not realise ...oh best not say in case you want to read it 😀

Edited by Posy - 02 Feb 2015 at 06:54
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 13:20
I am reading my study book by Pamela Trevithick, and actually got to meet her last week, (she's doing a bit of a Uni tour) so got her to sign my book, she wrote quite a bit in it, only asked for her autograph!!
It's hard to follow, but she explained a lot of the theory, she was very entertaining, not what i expected, as to be honest, her book is tough going (well for me), altho well recommended on the internet by reviews.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 15:08
many writers find ghosting a good little earner, in between the bread and butter writing they do
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 20:31
he..he.. are you writing for anyone Toots!!!!! i should be doing some reading but can't face a book, so went for a little stroll around the shops this afternoon.
Got talking to an older Aussie guy, he was telling me where he grew up in Tasmania, his mum knew Errol Flynn!! said he was into young girls, could of given Jimmy Saville a run for his money!!!, now i'm sure i had a book on Errol Flyn's life not too long ago, that would be interesting!! (from memory i'm not sure if the book was part fiction, it was set in the Carribbean i think from memory)
Lucky for Errol (not for the girls obv) there wasn't internet, tabloids, and reporters around then!!
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 17:21
Originally posted by deborah31

he..he.. are you writing for anyone Toots!!!!! i should be doing some reading but can't face a book, so went for a little stroll around the shops this afternoon.
Got talking to an older Aussie guy, he was telling me where he grew up in Tasmania, his mum knew Errol Flynn!! said he was into young girls, could of given Jimmy Saville a run for his money!!!, now i'm sure i had a book on Errol Flyn's life not too long ago, that would be interesting!! (from memory i'm not sure if the book was part fiction, it was set in the Carribbean i think from memory)
Lucky for Errol (not for the girls obv) there wasn't internet, tabloids, and reporters around then!!

Clark Gable was quite a sex symbol in his time, and wherever he went he was mobbed by women. Not being very tall, he found it a bit daunting so used to regularly whip out his dentures and say ' Hey ladies! What do you think of the big movie star now?'  They disappeared like wild geese in winter Clap

Edited by Toots - 07 Feb 2015 at 17:21
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 07:23
I think I read that book on Errol Flynn. It was called My Wicked, Wicked Ways. He had flings with underaged young ladies. I don't know what the age of consent was on the US in the 1940s and 1950s. I believe he was arrested over some of his dalliances and he was charged with "constitutional rape" where the girl 'may' have been consenting, but underaged. Deborah there may not have been internet then, but there was Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons, Hollywood gossip columnists who could break or make actors' careers if they got wind of something and actor had done.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 21:52
Originally posted by MargiABC

I think I read that book on Errol Flynn. It was called My Wicked, Wicked Ways. He had flings with underaged young ladies. I don't know what the age of consent was on the US in the 1940s and 1950s. I believe he was arrested over some of his dalliances and he was charged with "constitutional rape" where the girl 'may' have been consenting, but underaged. Deborah there may not have been internet then, but there was Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons, Hollywood gossip columnists who could break or make actors' careers if they got wind of something and actor had done.

This old(ish) guy from Tasmania was telling me this from what his mother told him who grew up with him in Tasmania (Hobart??)- where he was spotted for his (first?) film. He said he owed a lot of money to the bar /restaurant there, they sent him the bill to Hollywood, and he sent a postcard back to Tasmania saying 'come and get it from me then' or words to that effect. I read he alledgedly lost his virginity at 12!
(to his mother's housekeeper?)
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 08:55
Originally posted by deborah31

As I understand it Deb, these ghosts have to be anonymous, invisible and discrete. Whatever would happen if  someone 'wrote' an autobiog and  it came out that they'd never written a word in their life? Or worse... A blockbuster award winning author dried after their second book and apart from story outline chapter planning, had every book since ghosted.Shocked

Edited by Toots - 10 Feb 2015 at 08:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345