I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Reading Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'Celebrity' biographies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 14:08
Dont think i have ever properly read one myself ,but my mum has of people she likes, i got her the Donny Osmond one for christams one year, she said that was good and interesting
Mais, my mum LOVES Cliff too!!!! she has always been a fan, she also has all his books, CDs, videos, dvds, she has been to a few of his concerts and met him twice, i can understand why you have gone off him a bit now though-Dan is much better!

vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 14:11
Originally posted by climbinchick

Oh yeah...I also love Torvill and Dean's autobiography, and Karen Barber and Nicky Slater's. But that's slightly different as both were published before I was born and I needed to know more about them!

we have reserved the Karen and Nicky book at our local library, couldnt find it anywhere else, my mum went to the show Nicky did recently, he recommended it ,so we thought we would try and read it, will have to look for the Torvill and Dean one too then

Edited by vicki - 27 Aug 2008 at 14:11

lena4stefan View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash
Frankette

Quote lena4stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 20:51
I've just read Peter Kay's autobiography 'The Sound of Laughter'. Brilliant book and so so funny- I'd recommend it to anyone as you laugh from start to finish.
I think I said this earlier in the thread but Frank Skinner's is also fantatic. I've also read Jordan's and managed to get through about half of Peter Andre's but i didn't think much of them. I read Shane Richie's last year...it was ok but nothing special really IMO.

In general though, autobiographies are one of my favourite genres of book.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 21:59
I have read Peter Kay's autobiography and drove everyone mad by laughing out loud so much.
Yummy Mummy View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote Yummy Mummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 20:58
I'm currently reading Sharon Osbourne's second book.  Read her first one and thought it was brilliant, she seems to have gone through so much in her life.
Yummy Mummy
vicki View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Dan's Diva

Quote vicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 17:26
the Karen Barber and Nicky Slater autobiography we reserved at the library has come in,i will try to read it, looked at the pictures, lots of them from their competition days ,with Torvill and Dean too, and also judge Natalia, their old rival, looks like it is worth a read, as we are such big DOI fans

Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 01:49
Peter Kay's 'Sound of Laughter' is a fabulous read. His cultural references are the same as mine, and a lot of his humour is typical Northern so it hits the spot with me.

"Put big light on!"

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:42
BEst, and funniest i read, is Alan Carr's way funnier than Peter Kay's (whose in myopinion, wasn't as good nearer the end)
Also enjoyed Paul O'Grady's book too.

I did enjoy My Steve, by Terri Irwin, read it on the plane back from PERTH, Australia, where i picked it up at the airport.

My fav books of all time, Rock Hudson's 'His Story'  and John Macenroes,  'Serious'

REad Dawn French's recently but got fed up half way thru, and also read Julie Walters, and Roger Moore's . At the moment reading Parky, never been a big fan of his, but picked it up for a quid, which i do for nearly all my books.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:43

by the way we allus said "Put Big light out!"

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:45
ps sorry to upset you, but i couldn't even imagine reading Nicky Slater's book, he bores me to death on DOI, and i've only watched the programme in full twice!! think it's the sound of his voice.

Another good book i picked up for a quid, (yes at cheap book store) Marcus Trescothick
- cricketeer, who suffers very badly from crippling depression, and anxiety.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:48
Re My Steve' by Terri Irwin
ps i also was lucky enough last year to take my kids to Steve Irwin's zoo north of Brisbane,
it didn't seem quite the same without him.   Altho what my daughter found freaky was the life size cardboard cut out's of him dotted around the place.

A really nice zoo/wildlife park tho, small enough to enjoy.
We didn't get to see Terri, and the children tho, but all the staff were very friendly and obviously enjoy working there.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:55
Originally posted by veronica

I have heard good things about Frank Skinner's too.

I saw this last week at the charity shop, the only thing that put me off was the pitbull on the front!! (or was it two pitbull's) can't stand the breed, and what it does to children and adults.

I love reading most biographies, , and will try any one that has had a bit of a life! (ie maybe over 40 years of age, altho if young, has done something amazing in their short years)

I recently just picked up at another charity sale, Douglas Bader's 'Reach for the Sky'
I like to know what make's people tick!- and how they live their lives, and where they get
their determination from, especially if they've had a bad start, and how they improve it.

Edited by deborah31 - 21 Jan 2010 at 20:57
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 17:33
[. [/quote]

Spot on, V. 

I don't tend to read biographies as a general rule, but really enjoyed the Freddie Mercury one that was out a few years ago (written about him by a journalist, obviously) and I want to get my hands on a copy of "In his own words", too - but that's me being a Freddie fan.

Frank Skinner's was a good read, though - very frank, in all respects - and was appealing because he is a local lad to me.

[/QUOTE]
ok just bought frank skinner's (despite pitbuls on the front) and Sharon Osbornes, and Clarrissa Dickson Wright's all for a quid each (local cancer , and age concern shops today)
Will give them a go, as I love biography's
veronica View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 22:42
My mum lent me the Clarissa Dickson-Wright one sometime ago. I'm not a fan of hers by any means but it's actually a very interesting book.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 08:48
I read 'Time of My Life' by Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi after Christmas. I still have books on Kathleen Turner and Coco Chanel to read yet - all Christmas gifts.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 21:38
couldn't read my new books, as had to re-read Rock Hudson's 'His story' again
after talking about him on here last week with i think it was Toots!

Hadn't read it since about 7 years ago.

Edited by deborah31 - 27 Jan 2010 at 21:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>